Computer boots up then turns off

Lolsk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Hi, my computer will boot up and then turn off before ever reaching post. The strange thing is that it will turn off then 5 sec later turn on and then turn off again and will keep repeating this pattern. I had this problem before and how i fixed it was to only use 1 ram...well i was trying to see if my other ram that i was using was faulty so i replaced it with the other ram, and it didnt wok but when i put back the other ram it didnt work also..

Psu: ocz 500w mod x stream

Graphics card: radeon 6850

Mobo: msi P67a-gd53

Cpu: i5 2400

Case:antec 900

Hard drive: samsung spinpoint 1 tb 3.5 inch

Dvd/cd:asus

If anybody has any idea to whats wrong please say. Thanks!

jh77573

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Its been a long time, but shouldn't a PC POST even if RAM is not in it? I might be wrong on that, but i'm wanting to say that was the rule with computers back in the day. Sounds like there is some issue with the RAM or how you were putting the RAM in.

primekrieger

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Your PSU may be faulty which may or may not be causing overheating.
First of all check temperatures by going in BIOS. If still no problem could be identified, borrow a PSU from a friend and try to run the system with it.
You mentioned earlier your computer worked after removing RAM, so maybe your PSU can no longer handle the load.

PS: I had a similar problem, nothing could be identified. Changed PSU. Everything OK.