GimmeSammich

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
So I tried to turn on my computer this morning and it won't start. Just gives me 1 short beep 1 long beep. No monitor display or anything.

The computer is the HP p6654y.

Motherboard
show
N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
Processor
show
AMD Athlon II X4 630
show
Processor upgrade information
Memory
show
4 GB
show
Memory upgrade information
Video graphics
show
Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
Sound/Audio
show
Integrated ALC888S-VD audio
Networking
show
LAN: 10-Base-T
show
802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card
Hard drive
show
750 GB
CD/DVD disc drive
show
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive
Memory Card Reader
show
15-in-1 multimedia card reader
Computer Case
show
Mid-size ATX
Power Supply
show
250W
/spoiler]

I've actually had this problem before. I could get my computer to start by allowing it to run for a long time while beeping and then restarting it. I tried resetting the ram and using canned air to clean everything but nothing would work. Eventually I reformatted my computer and the problem went away, until now.

At this point I can't even get it to start. Any ideas?

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Just have a check to make sure all of the cards are in there slots properly.you next step should be to take all of the sticks of memory out of the system any try them one at a time in the system.If that checks out then I would looking at the PSU.

samuelsandesh

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Beeps can point to various problems ranging from incompatibility to circuit failure. Please note the type of beep.
1. Steady, short beeps - Power supply may be bad
2. Long continuous beep tone - Memory failure
3. Steady, long beeps - Power supply bad
4. One long, two short beeps - Video card failure

GimmeSammich

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011

It's one short, one long beep.

Google tells me this is a memory problem. I've tried switching out the ram sticks one at a time and it didn't help. If I leave it on long enough and then restart it, it seems to work sometimes.

PeacePC

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Maybe switching IN the RAM sticks one at a time might help. Got to say I did my first ever build recently and got a RAM error during POST. Turned out that the RAM had to be *really* pushed hard into the slots, so make sure they are pushed well in as you test each stick.

nmosha

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
frist check your ram slots for damage , then after starting your pc check if fet transistors near the slot is hut , you can serach google for fet pic to know what is fet, and need to check chipset if it hut too , after working for 5 or 10 min , if its so , you need to change your mb fet,s or repair your mb chip-set ( some time it can be fix by Heat ) but make sure to switch off your pc before heating your chip-set and power on after chip-set is cold enough . you can get a video toturial to how fix chip-set with heat from u tube. i fix some board in this way. you can also get toturial to how can check fet,s on u tube too.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
That would tell me it has a problem detecting the memory, the board may require a bios update, to correct the issue. The other cause may be incorrect setting of the speed settings in the bios, or the timing of the memory is wrong, or the bios simply has not detected the right voltage to power the memory sticks in the dim slots for the memory on the motherboard.
Take a stick out and check all of these settings located on a sticker of the memory.

If you can get into the bios check all the settings are right. If the memory voltage is slightly out when auto detected by the bios manualy set the voltage for them to the correct value. Make sure both stick are of the same speed and a matching pair, if not you will have to manualy lower the memory timings to the lowest speed,and the frequency in Mhz . And set the timing values of that stick in the memory timings setting section of the memory.