Asus, AMD, or OCZ - Who is at fault

floatpoint

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi, I just want to find out who would be to blame in regarding the compatibility of these components:

RAM - 4GB kit (OCZ3RPR13334GK) from OCZ and 16Gb from ADATA
CPU - 1090T & 550 from AMD
MB - M4A785TD - evo from Asus

1. A setup with the OCZ memory, 1090t cpu and the Asus MB results in random crashes - sometimes within hours, other times a couple of minutes after startup.

2. A setup with the OCZ memory, 550 cpu and the Asus MB is 100% stable

3. A setup with the Adata 16GB is stable with both the 1090T and the 550

Judging from this, I would say the OCZ memory is at fault, but why does it work when used with the 550?

This isn't really a major issue anymore, since I am using setup 3 with the 1090T, but would like to know what you you think regarding the instability of setup 1.

Thanks and I hope this is in the right section :)

tlmck

Distinguished
OCZ and ASUS have a long history of flaky compatibility. In other words, it works some times and not others. Over the years, both companies pointed their fingers at each other and said "he did it" rather than offer any solutions.

BTW, OCZ is out of the ram business now, but will still support what is out there. I would save the OCZ and use it in a Gigabyte board. Used it many times myself, and never heard of a legit problem.

As all the parts have been determined to work the person who selected and assembled the parts is most likely at fault. The most likely cause being incorrect memory settings in the BIOS causing issues with the memory controller on the CPU. assuming of course the OCZ memory is even on the motherboard compatibility list

floatpoint

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Thanks everyone for the reply.

Memory voltage for the ADATA ram is currently at 1.5v. I take it the OCZ ram was also operating at the same since I have not changed any major settings in the bios. I believe the 1.95v is for the 6-6-6-20 timings @2000MHz if I remember correctly.

But yeah, this is probably a you blame me, I blame you situation. Atleast the memory does work with the 550BE, so I I might just build a second lower end system using them. :)

floatpoint

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Cant edit my previous post.

OCZ rating is 1.75v 6-6-6-20 @1333Mhz, not the insane 2000Mhz I posted above.

Thats for the overclock, I was running them at stock and I beleive they were at CL9 1.5v