Getting Me a New Build Finally, Want Opinions

So I promised myself that after AMD released Bulldozer, i'd finally get myself a new build, whether it was and AMD or Intel CPU. After the disappointing performance of BD, it looks like i'll be going for an Intel build. Im quite familar with this, so I'm not asking for help on compatibility, just some opinions on part selections. But here's what I'm looking at so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.749718

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233204

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130611

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

I'm going to re-use my CD Drive, Internet adapter, peripherals, and monitor, so this is just core components pretty much. Any opinions on the parts? Useful combos I missed? Better parts from different manufacturers? Oh yeah I really cant quite decide between self contained LC or a good air cooler, and which one, so thats where a good opinion is nice. All opinions are welcome everywhere though :)
9 answers Last reply
More about getting build finally opinions
  1. Looks OK, i wouldn't recommend that SSD though. I work at a PC components retailer and we get Corsair and OCZ SSD's returned as faulty all the time. The Crucial and Intel ones seem far more reliable.
  2. jmsellars1 said:
    Looks OK, i wouldn't recommend that SSD though. I work at a PC components retailer and we get Corsair and OCZ SSD's returned as faulty all the time. The Crucial and Intel ones seem far more reliable.


    OCZ i hear a lot of problems about, but not really corsair's SSD's. But if you can link me to a similar $/GB and similar speed SSD from a better company in your opinion I'd look at it.
  3. Crucial M4 is around the same price, with the firmware update it will hit ~550Mb read and like ~150Mb write.

    EDIT: 550 Read and 110 write on the 64GB version.
  4. Have any real world benchies of it vs this corsair?
  5. Nah I don't you would have to google it. I don't think you would notice the difference between the 2 even side by side though in performance terms. The Crucial is probably more reliable though, in my experience anyway.
  6. jmsellars1 said:
    Nah I don't you would have to google it. I don't think you would notice the difference between the 2 even side by side though in performance terms. The Crucial is probably more reliable though, in my experience anyway.


    Yeh true, SSD speed is SSD speed either way. Other thing I couldnt decide was the CPU cooler...
  7. A few that I can recommend are:

    - Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    Epic bang for your buck

    - Noctua NH-D14
    High end cooler with among the best cooling possible and it's relatively quiet.

    Those are the only ones I've used personally but I know others have had good results with the Corsair H series.
  8. jmsellars1 said:
    A few that I can recommend are:

    - Coolermaster Hyper 212+
    Epic bang for your buck

    - Noctua NH-D14
    High end cooler with among the best cooling possible and it's relatively quiet.

    Those are the only ones I've used personally but I know others have had good results with the Corsair H series.


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=212%20evo

    This was the new one they just released, shaves a few degrees off from the reviews I've seen, quieter too, might go for this. Should be able to get me to 5 GHz relatively easily. Not so sure on the Corsair LC solutions, seem expensive for their so-so cooling.
  9. That might get you to 5Ghz but I wouldn't count on it. In my old PC which is the same as the one in my sig but with the 212+ and Antec 902 I could only just get to 3.8Ghz with fairly high temps but when I upgraded to the Noctua I had it at 4.2Ghz with lower temps than the 212+ at 3.8Ghz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt New Build Systems Product