Sign in with
Your question

PC shuts down due to graphics card overheating?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2011 5:01:22 PM

The Issue:
I built a 'silent' PC two years ago and it has been working great until a few weeks ago. I started noticing a squeaking fan noise in my PC case and traced it to my graphics card. At the time I thought it was because the fan might be hitting a wire, I took the card out and cleaned off the dusts on the blades. The next few days the squeaking noise went away and I was satisfied. The following days, which is recently, my computer have been shutting down while playing games or watching movies. Not restarting, just shutting down and it won't properly starts unless I rest it for at least 10mins.

Attempted fix:
Immediately I thought it might be heating problem because I have noticed my graphics card could literally cook bacon right after the shut downs. Last night I monitored my CPU temp and it never exceeds 60 degrees. However with the 4890 the temp was around 60 idle, and around 95 while watching movies. I've manually set the fan speed at 100% but the card still seem way too hot. Could it be a failsafe setup that shuts down my PC, lets say when the card reaches 100 degrees? That would make sense because before I cleaned my graphics card's fans, my pc have NEVER crashed (which is rare in itself). Maybe by cleaning the fan I accidentally pushed more dusts into the cards ventilation systems, thus clogging the air flow. Tonight I will attempt the clean the card again with a vacuum, and try to look for any failsafe setup in the Bios. Until then, anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to go about this problem?

The gear:
ASUS P7P55D-E
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3
XFX Radeon 4890

******Update:
Clean the card thoroughly, went all night without any problems with temperature around 70 degrees. A hour ago the fan stopped working, the fan constantly start and stops, temperature reading 105 degrees. Time for an upgrade. Thanks guys.
a b U Graphics card
August 15, 2011 5:15:51 PM

might be your 4890. time for an upgrade
m
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
August 15, 2011 5:35:50 PM

Careful about using a vacuum. A much better choice is pressurized air. The dust moving through a vacuum cleaner's hose can create dangerous static; it doesn't take much to damage delicate electronics.
Make sure the fan is actually running, and that the case has good airflow. You might also use CCC to make sure it isn't overclocked.
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2011 5:43:18 PM

@jtt283

yeh the fans were running and they were fine. I've done some research on the radeon cards and it seems my card is running 20-30 degrees over the supposed temperature when the card is under load... Also I never overclock my gear, just never needed to do so
Will get a pressurized air cleaner thing on the way back from work today. Thanks
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
August 15, 2011 5:50:06 PM

Even a horse hair brush is a lot safer than than using a vacuum. As for the card I agree it is time to go ahead and upgrade as the damage may have already been done. These cards in practice have a shorter life than the 4870 and the 4870x2.
m
l
!