HD not detected!!

G

After changing the motherboard, my hadrdisks (one IBM4G, one seagate 6G and one segate 30G) all gone not detectable!!
i've try to put back everything to the old system and it does not work at all
i've try to test them on my friend's home and it's still no hope
Is there any way to retrieve the data, coz i've forgotten to back up on other media

thanks so much

G

are you recognizing them in the bios? And setting their master/slave jumpers correctly, check cable pin orientation? Checking hdd setup and detection in the CMOS setup in the bios. It's odd that all three should just die, unless something strange has happened other than changing motherboards. I doubt all three are bad if nothing drastic has really happened to them. If you still can't solve the problem, you might post some more details of how you have checked these drives and what exactly occurs.

There is no guaranteed, easy, and/or inexpensive way to remove that data if the drives are truly inaccessible by normal IDE means.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

1. not even in bios
2. settings are correct, can't do well even when one HD only
3. my friend suspects that its the controller in each of the HD that trashed (why all 3?? i dunno)
4. whar is the "expensive way" thou'? the data is so important to me.....
By the way, Thanks

G

not really spinning
one more info: whenever i link that faulty hd to some functioning hd, the functioning one is not detected as well
ok after removed
and 2 of the hd (older one) can now be detected after removing ALL the jumpers, but not the new one (30G Seagate)

G

See if bios auto detects it, if not then put the parameters in manually, if you cant do that then take the hdd's out and try them in another machine, if they work ok in another machine, try putting them in one at a time, it is highly unlikely that all 3 hdd's are bad, make sure the ribbon cable is firmly and correctly attached, its easy to be 1 pin out on the board end

G

there is no reason you should have to manualy enter those drives in the bios. if they dont get autodetected they are either not connecter properly, pins arent set right or just flat out dead (which i dont think is the case i think the installation isnt done right)

G

you'll probably need to give exact drive models if you want more help so someone can look at the jumper settings to double check and make sure they are correct. I too am not entirely convinced that it's just not a config problem. You will have problems if master is set for both or slave.. cable select gives problems as well so don't use it. You might try changing the IDE cable if you absolutely confident in the jumper settings of the drive but a bad IDE wouldn't explain why it didn't work on a friends machine and it's rarer anyways. (I mean people cut regular IDE cables up and tape em together and they still work.. ee gads!!)

G

st330631a
it's a seagate 30G ATA100 7200 RPM
i'm not convinced about the trash as well
everything has been tried out (new cable, jumper setting according to instructions, master/slave, out the hd one by one....)
by the way thanks for any help

G

there is no st330631a model according to the website

there is a
st330620A ATA100 7200 RPM
st330621A ATA100 5400 RPM
st330630A ATA66 7200 RPM

the only product manual for download is for the ATA66 drive.. so I have no real clue on the new ATA100 drives except that the ATA66 may be similar. Check the settings again.. sometimes people get pin 1 jumper swtiched around.. for the ATA66 when looking at the back of the drive it is top right with pin 2 underneath it next to power conn. They are probably similar drives except for platters and heads and circuitry. No pins equal slave.. It has two different master modes as well. .pin 7/8 for master with ATA compatible drive (I imagine that means ATA33, 66, or 100 drives). pin 7/8 5/6 for non-ATA compatible drives only if it won't work as a master with no jumpers installed (I know confusing as that is also default for slave mode). And an 80-pin is recommended for ATA33 and up. Compare that with your installation instructions.

TRENDING THREADS