Staples Canon-compatible ink cartridges

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 11, 2005 4:26:20 PM

Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I
guess mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the
Canon brand is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:07:36 PM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:

> I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>
> Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
> Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
> OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.

Well, for my different printer (Epson R800) Costco only lists
three-packs of the cartridges. The per-cartridge prices are good,
but I'm not sure the threepack price is actually good for me (though
if I keep up my recent rate of printing, it might be). The R800
cartridges expire in a year, I think.
April 11, 2005 10:37:54 PM

nosredna wrote:

>Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
>sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
>http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
>This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I
>guess mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the
>Canon brand is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).

April 11, 2005 10:37:55 PM

I tried Staples inks for my Canon and they did not fit correctly into the
slots and he colors were not as good. I would stay away from Staples brand
definitely.

>I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>
> Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
> Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon OEM
> Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>
> nosredna wrote:
>
>>Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
>>sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
>>http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
>>This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I guess
>>mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the Canon brand
>>is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).

April 12, 2005 1:02:42 AM

For a maximum of 2 dollars savings I would not risk screwing up my
printer. Having tried a package of "Staples" pens, I' don't see any reason
to involve myself with any product under their brand name that uses ink.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"nosredna" <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
> sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
> http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
> This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I
> guess mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the
> Canon brand is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:50:46 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:07:36 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net>
wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>>
>> Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
>> Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
>> OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>
>Well, for my different printer (Epson R800) Costco only lists
>three-packs of the cartridges. The per-cartridge prices are good,
>but I'm not sure the threepack price is actually good for me (though
>if I keep up my recent rate of printing, it might be). The R800
>cartridges expire in a year, I think.

Especially when Costco's shipping is so high.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:59:44 AM

Tony wrote:

> For a maximum of 2 dollars savings I would not risk screwing up my
>printer. Having tried a package of "Staples" pens, I' don't see any reason
>to involve myself with any product under their brand name that uses ink.

There is NO savings. He is paying $2.00 more than Costco prices.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:02:39 AM

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>>
>>Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
>>Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
>>OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>>

>Well, for my different printer (Epson R800) Costco only lists
>three-packs of the cartridges. The per-cartridge prices are good,
>but I'm not sure the threepack price is actually good for me (though
>if I keep up my recent rate of printing, it might be). The R800
>cartridges expire in a year, I think.

Just turn the thing on and off a few times and you will catch up with
your ink supply. And especially for the R800 pigmented permanent head
printer I would not be so eager to clog the heads with Staple's 3rd
party ink.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 9:50:14 PM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> writes:
>>

>>>I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>>>
>>>Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
>>>Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
>>>OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>>>

>>Well, for my different printer (Epson R800) Costco only lists
>>three-packs of the cartridges. The per-cartridge prices are good,
>>but I'm not sure the threepack price is actually good for me (though
>>if I keep up my recent rate of printing, it might be). The R800
>> cartridges expire in a year, I think.
>
> Just turn the thing on and off a few times and you will catch up with
> your ink supply. And especially for the R800 pigmented permanent head
> printer I would not be so eager to clog the heads with Staple's 3rd
> party ink.

I wouldn't dream of using Staple's ink. But I did run my 1200 almost
exclusively with Generations Microbright pigmented ink (through a
CIS). That is, I'm not at all against third-party inks, but I choose
them for permanence rather than cheapness.
April 24, 2005 6:33:53 PM

In article <6uz6e.468$J12.434@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>
> Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
> Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
> OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>
> nosredna wrote:
>
> >Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
> >sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
> >http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
> >This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I
> >guess mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the
> >Canon brand is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).

No Costco around these parts, and I don't use credit cards, so I can't
order online. I heard that Sam's Club has them for $9, but I'm not a
member.
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:39:29 PM

nosredna wrote:

>In article <6uz6e.468$J12.434@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I AM REALLY CONFUSED!
>>
>>Why would you want to spend more money for some junk 3rd party ink at
>>Stables when you can go to Costco or Costco.com and buy the real Canon
>>OEM Genuine carts for $9.00? This does not make any cents.
>>
>>nosredna wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone here tried the Canon-compatible ink cartridges that Staples
>>>sells? I'm referring particularly to cartridges for the Canon i960.
>>>http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=...
>>>This particular cartridge is about $11 at my local Staples store (I
>>>guess mail order is cheaper because shipping is added?), whereas the
>>>Canon brand is about $13 ($12 if I buy two or more).
>>>

>No Costco around these parts, and I don't use credit cards, so I can't
>order online. I heard that Sam's Club has them for $9, but I'm not a
>member.

Now you know what you need to do.
!