Sign in with
Your question

Sabrent USB3 2 port card - slow data xfer

Last response: in Components
January 15, 2012 12:14:35 PM

I have a HP P6228p desktop running a fully updated (both Microsoft and HP) Win7 64bit Home Premium. Last week I installed a Sabrent 2-port PCIE USB3 card into an open slot. The card which I bought from Frys was in a blister pack and it came with no software and no instructions of any kind. When I booted the PC, Windows failed to find and install whatever driver the card needed, so on the web I found, downloaded, and installed the driver for the Sabrent "black" 2-port USB3 card. The card does work, but not to my hopes. I compared speeds with my old USB2 against my new USB3 by copying a large folder from my harddrive to a USB3 external harddrive. When doing the copy across USB2, the copy runs at about 12MB/second. When copying across USB3 (with USB3 cable ,btw), the copy runs at about 16MB/second. I did the upgrade and test at a little computer shop near my home using the shop's USB3 external harddrive and I do not own any USB3 devices to test with further. Any idea why my new USB3 data transfer is not much faster than USB2?

One other question. When my own USB2 Iomega external HD is plugged into USB2, the PC goes in and out of sleep mode with nary a whisper. But when the same HD is plugged into the new USB3 card, each time the PC comes out of sleep mode I get a popup autorun type window asking me if I want to look at the contents of the external HD. Why? Can be fixed?
Thanks in advance, Charlie
a b α HP
January 15, 2012 10:46:16 PM

You may have reached the max transfer speed of that usb3 HDD. Do you know what they get on their systems with it?

As for the sleep issue, its likely the drive went to sleep and came back out of it when the pc was on and thus appeared to be newly attached. Is there an option to 'Do nothing' and a check box for "Remeber this"?
m
l
January 15, 2012 11:08:52 PM

I don't know what speeds the shop is getting with their external USB3 drive on a USB3 port and USB3 cable, but I'll email them to ask for a speed test result.

On my other issue (in a different Tom's forum) - here's what I posted about THIS issue - "You may have noticed that I posted another problem/question about my newly added Sabrent PCI USB3 2 port card running at almost USB2 speed. While I was in the bios today I listed the USB entries. A few low-numbered entries showed things like the USB mouse and the UPS, but most entries were empty. However I did notice that USB port 8 showed as "USB2.0-CRW Generic". Is that maybe why my new USB3 card is not running much faster than USB2? In Windows device manager I simply can't tell what's what under the list of USB stuff. Some are obvious, like the Logitec camera and the mouse, but other things don't appear to give a clue what they are. "
As to the "sleep" issue - I just now put the PC into and out of Sleep mode. When I woke the PC I did get that Windows Autoplay pop-up about my external HD and it offered only 2 options - 1. "Open folder to view files" & 2. "View More AutoPlay options in Control Panel". I clicked on choice#2 and it listed about 17 items for which I could select AutoPlay choices, most all of which were for movies, CD's, DVD's, etc. At the bottom of the screen was a section called "Devices" - but no devices were listed.
Other ideas?
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
January 16, 2012 12:29:46 AM

With nothing attached to your usb3 you'd most like have only two entries. two usb3 controllers or 1 controller and 1 hub.

Until we know the specs of the drive nothing can be said of your usb3. From my standpoint it could just be you were using a 2.5" 5400rpm drive and 17mbs avg isn't all that bad esp if the drive were fairly full.

Remember, no matter what interface you use, you can't transfer any faster than the devices can handle. This means your pc too. You cant transfer any faster than your harddrive(s) can handle either. Please benchmark your drive to make sure it's not the bottleneck.
m
l
January 16, 2012 10:42:29 AM

OK. Both my PC and its internal HD are fast. I emailed the computer shop guy about him testing his PORTABLE external USB3 HD speed on one of his PC's. Maybe I will hear back from him - maybe not.

But I don't really understand how to find/display the USB3 entry in Device Manager as there is noting I can view that says "USB3". And also, I don't know what my USB3 entry should look like in the bios display screens. In other words, I don't know how to look at my PC internals to say that "there's my USB3 port/card and it's set to run as USB3". I do have my USB2 Iomega external desktop HD running from one of the 2 ports that is on the Sabrent PCIE USB3 card.
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:33:15 PM

Still waiting and hoping that one of you smart guys can help me identify my 2 USB3 ports in Windows 7 - so that I can say that the ports really are considered by the hardware or software as USB3. Help!

"But I don't really understand how to find/display the USB3 entry in Device Manager as there is noting I can view that says "USB3". And also, I don't know what my USB3 entry should look like in the bios display screens. In other words, I don't know how to look at my PC internals to say that "there's my USB3 port/card and it's set to run as USB3". I do have my USB2 Iomega external desktop HD running from one of the 2 ports that is on the Sabrent PCIE USB3 card. "
m
l
January 31, 2012 1:08:43 PM

You can view my other post about my problems with the Sabrent 2-port PCIX-USB3 card and driver, but to sum it all up, the card does have a bug as relates to AutoPlay.
Why the install of their most current driver caused my PC to lock up - they don't have a clue. Installing an old Sabrent (really ASMedia) driver fixed the lock-up problem. But now I'm on an old driver & I don't yet own any USB3 devices, and the card itself does have a bug, and I'm now afraid to use any new drivers they come out with (because of my PC lock-up issue), so I think it's time for me to get rid of the driver and return the card to Frys for a refund.

So - how to get rid of the card and driver? I'm thinking I should power off the PC and unplug all USB. Then, reboot and go to Control Panel add/remove and uninstall the driver. Then reboot to see if things look OK. Then, power off and plug in my USB2 devices. Then reboot and check that all looks OK. Is that the way to go?
m
l
January 31, 2012 2:49:50 PM

Quote:
o on the web I found, downloaded, and installed the driver for the Sabrent "black" 2-port USB3 card. The card does work, but not to my hopes. I compared speeds with my old USB2 against my new USB3 by copying a large folder from my harddrive to a USB3 external harddrive. When doing the copy across USB2, the copy runs at about 12MB/second. When cop

@dushizhe
I was not able to see your reply. There was a link that someone embedded in my text but that took me to an Amazon entry offering flowers. Huh?
m
l
February 1, 2012 9:22:25 AM

I have removed the Sabrent PCIx-USB3 card and its ASMedia driver. Maybe I'll try the Western Digital USB3 card & driver next time. I think WD may use NEC chips that don't have the bug that causes my USB2 Iomega external HD to launch into AutoPlay every time my PC comes out of Sleep Mode.
m
l
February 19, 2012 11:19:19 AM

Today I installed a Western Digital PCI USB 3.0 card & driver. No problems so far, but I have no USB3 devices yet to test it with. On this card, when my PC awakes from sleep mode, it does not send my Iomega USB2 external HD into AutoPlay. Yea!!
m
l
February 24, 2012 10:31:55 AM

I installed a WD PCI-USB3 card. It installed and runs OK but it did NOT fix the problem of my external HD going into Windows AutoPlay when the PC awakes from sleep mode. I have a case open with WD about that problem but I doubt there is a fix. If I manually put the PC into Sleep Mode and then wake it up a few minutes later, there is no problem. If the PC spends the night in Sleep Mode, the AutoPlay problem shows up when I wake up the PC in the morning. I have not tried to determine the amount of Sleep Mode time it takes for the problem to happen..
m
l
!