yaesurig

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Well the last time I built my own computer was back in 2001. It still works and I'm using it here. But That said, I've decided to do it again and I'm looking for some help suggesting components. This will be mostly a game machine but I will also use it for everything else. Will probably Overclock a little but maybe not at all. Below are what I've got so far, and obviously I'm just starting the research.

Please help me narrow down the list as I'm way out of touch with the latest hardware.

Will this case have enough room for this cpu cooler? I read somewhere the ram could be in the way especially if there are fans on the case sides?

Will I need any other items that won't come with parts I have listed? Maybe motherboard standoffs? (don't know if they're included)

CPU Intel I7 2600K
CPU Cooler Thermalright Silver Arrow cpu cooler
Motherboard Intel BOXDP67BGB3 Extreme Edition
Case coolmaster CM 690 II Advanced
Pwr Supply Corsair CMPSU-750HX
Ram Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600hz 16GB (too much??)
Video Card SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB
SSD HDD Intel 80 GB X25M Mainstream SATA II Solid-State Drive (SSD)
Optical Drive Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)
Monitor ASUS VH226H 21.5-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
HDMI cable
Keyboard ??
Mouse ??
HD storeage - Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM - WD1002FAEX

Appreciate the help, before I do any ordering.
Shaggy

ulysses35

Distinguished
I would recomend buying a different brand Motherboard - just because its an Intel CPU doesnt mean it will perfom best with and Intel board. ASUS make some very good mobo's for Intel chips and perform a lot better.

Also I would swap the HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3

morgoth780

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

+1
also consider the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 and extreme4 gen3
both have pci-e 3.0 and sli/cfx, so they support the next gen gpus.