System Freezes, Speakers emit horrible screeching

pz3shwks

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I built my computer about 3 weeks ago and I haven't had any real problems until yesterday.

I was playing Crysis 2 and after roughly 30-40 minutes it froze and this god-awful screeching came out of my TV speakers. The same thing happened today, playing Crysis 2. It has also happened after about 30 minutes of playing Morrowind.

I noticed that when it froze, the Ring of Light on the wired 360 controller I was using also went out.

I've used Auslogic's BoostSpeed to clean the registry and remove some junk files, among other things.

Could that have messed something up?

I haven't had this freeze up occur while using my computer to listen to music or browse the internet.

I have also updated my BIOS, hoping that would fix the problem. It hasn't, although my CPU is reading 20 degrees Celsius now, when it used to be 30.

pz3shwks

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I tried updating DirectX via microsofts website, but it said it was already up to date.

Is it because I have so many versions of DirectX installed? Since it seems all the games I have needed a different version.

And if I reinstall windows, would I have to do the custom installation, and wipe everything out?