Status
Not open for further replies.

sparco_04

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello once again Toms Hardware Guru's. Super Noob Sparco_04 here with a temperature question. I have switched cpu cooling devices and have it a conundrum of results:

My old setup was:
Hyper 212+ - Idle: 24c Load: 32c-38c

My New setup is:
Hydro H80 - Idle: 28c-30c :heink: Load: 38c and up :heink:

Both are and are in Push/Pull Configuration.

Note that the Hydro does have the stock fans on it.

Now tell me why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
I just paid $93.03 for this H80 and my temps SUCK!!!! I bought a tube of Arctic 5 Silver Compound and used most of the tube for the H80. Did I use too much?? I am tempted to return this Hydro and go back to the Hyper 212+.

Solution
quoted directly from their website

Coverage Area:
A 3.5 gram syringe contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram syringe will cover approximately 16 square inches.

sparco_04

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. So I am floored here. I was reading about someone with temps idle at 19c with the h80 so i thought i may have put too much paste on my cpu which is a 970 BE btw. I am probably going to return this H80 and get a 212+ with some expensive fans. your thoughts?

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
That's why you shouldn't try to "fix" a running system. The temps were already awesome, spending money on a new cooler made no sense, anyway.

Seriously, 38° on load, why do you want to change that? If anything this shows there is room for quieter fans along with slightly higher temps, if unavoidable. :p

Uther39

Distinguished
^+1 to mcnumpty, i cant believe hes the first one to mention that if you have used almost the full tube of silver5 paste then you have use way way much too much, take it apart thoroughly clean both the cpu and H80 with tim cleaner, then re-apply a very very thin film of silver5 paste to your cpu and put back together.

quoted directly from their website

Coverage Area:
A 3.5 gram syringe contains enough compound to cover at least 15 to 25 small CPU cores, or 6 to 10 large CPU cores, or 2 to 5 heat plates. At a layer 0.003" thick, the 3.5 gram syringe will cover approximately 16 square inches.

Solution

What is your ambient if you have 19°C on idle? Less than ambient is possible with refrigeration!

its only 14c or 15c in here or 55 to 60 farenheight

i dont really feel the cold so about 60f indoors is just fine for me and anything over 20c --roughly 70f actually

feels too hot and makes me sweat

its a running battle as i dont feel the cold and my partner loves the heat--i keep turning off the heating while her

backs turned :D

sparco_04

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
right on! thank you very much. now time for the confessional: I applied 3/4 of the 5gram tube to the chip and spread it around with my gloved finger until every square centimeter of the chip was covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.