Sign in with
Your question

I have 6GB DDR3 RAM, is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB?

Last response: in Memory
November 13, 2012 2:02:17 AM

So, lately I have been noticing that I hit close to using all 6gb of my RAM; when running only 3 ~ 4 programs (minecraft start screen, terraria, browser and maybe Ai/Windows Explorer and my computer starts freezing up and I go back to the super ugly looking simple windows 7 theme. Then other days when i'm running just UDK (game engine) and Google Chrome I look over and see i'm using 70% of my RAM. I'm not even running any background programs. Is that normal? But, back to the original question. My laptops memory maxes out at 8gb. Is it worth it to upgrade by 2gbs? :sweat: 
November 13, 2012 2:06:20 AM

I think there might be more issues than RAM on the system. When you're low on physical RAM, Windows will use virtual RAM which is the extra storage space that you have on your hard drive as system memory. Have you checked how much free storage you have left on your hard drive and uninstalled some programs to see if you get a little more speed? But it sounds normal and I wouldn't spend the extra to invest in 8GB. I don't think you'll notice much difference.
m
l
Anonymous
November 13, 2012 2:07:05 AM

I have 12GB of ram and can't seem to use more than 8GB of real space for running programs on Windows 7 64bit.

You would be better off using the money towards an SSD and having a nice large swap file. A Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 would be more useful when running/switching large apps than a mechanical HDD and an additional 2GB of ram. IMO
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 2:11:59 AM

macazian said:
I think there might be more issues than RAM on the system. When you're low on physical RAM, Windows will use virtual RAM which is the extra storage space that you have on your hard drive as system memory. Have you checked how much free storage you have left on your hard drive and uninstalled some programs to see if you get a little more speed? But it sounds normal and I wouldn't spend the extra to invest in 8GB. I don't think you'll notice much difference.

Thanks! I have more then half empty hard drive, though. I have been wondering what virtual RAM is - thanks for telling me :D 
m
l
November 13, 2012 2:13:56 AM

Anonymous said:
I have 12GB of ram and can't seem to use more than 8GB of real space for running programs on Windows 7 64bit.

You would be better off using the money towards an SSD and having a nice large swap file. A Samsung 830/840 or Crucial M4 would be more useful when running/switching large apps than a mechanical HDD and an additional 2GB of ram. IMO

Good idea..been thinking that maybe I can salvage up some money to get a 10000 RPM HDD or hybrid drive at least. (i'm not the richest person on earth) :) 
m
l
!