2500k price increase

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I noticed that the price for the i5-2500k is now $229.99 on Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon, etc.. Does anyone know what is the reason for the sudden increase in price? Honestly I was expecting the price to go down a little after they put out new chips, and was a little surprised that the prices stayed the same, and now after two months the prices are going up. Any thoughts?

It's always been $229.99 since it was released....Occasionally it's on sale.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Any more details? It just doesn't make sense to me to raise the price after all this time, but I don't know much about the market.

Will this affect the prices of the new chips coming out in April?

Oh, and the everyday price has been a solid $219.99 on Newegg since I got one last June (besides the occasional promotions of course).

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

I don't really know anything much, nor am I familiar with the US market, but I'm guessing the (guessed) increased demand is from BD etc. being so poor or similar. I'm guessing that it is just a supplier or retailer price raise, rather than an Intel one, so it might affect the new chips. I don't expect Intel to price the new chips any differently to the current ones.