TDP increase

Nickbwi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hello all, I've been looking and trying to find the answer with no luck. Here it is: I am upgrading the CPU in my Gateway FX from the P8700 to the x9100. The TDP difference is 25w P8700 and 44w X9100 .. I'm going to use ICD7 when installing the heatsinks to keep it a little cooler .. will the higher TDP be an issue? Thanks Again

Nick

xaira

Distinguished
with laptops the deciding factor is the size of the heatsink by the vent and the speed of the fan, thermal paste hardly comes into play

what temps do you experience with your current processor?

i usually suggest that laptops be upgraded with similar tdp processors since the thickness of the laptop is usually how they spec the laptop, more powerful ones tend to be thicker to have bigger heatsinks, thuroughly search the net to see if they recommend the cpu you want to put in the lappy

Nickbwi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have found others that have installed the this CPU in their Gateway FX's .. Now i've read that it only pushes that wattage if you over clock it .. the motherboard will support this CPU but nothing higher than this one ..

Nickbwi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Just an update and response back. I upgraded to the x9100 in my gateway fx and the temps stayed the same even under gaming load. Heat output from the CPU vent is about the same maybe a little more, but all in all I'm very happy with the results