Sign in with
Your question

Odd Booting Issue

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2011 11:28:19 PM

So I've had this system for a little while and it has been running great until recently. However I have been doing some online gaming lately, and the computer will freeze up everything except for my audio (skype will still be fine and I can communicate) but the game itself freezes and everything else will if I attempt to tab out. My initial reaction was generally simply to restart the computer. After doing this the computer will display the message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER", even though my BIOS is set so that it will only attempt to boot from my hard drive. Only solution that I have found appears to be temporary, and that is to simply turn the computer completely off and then restart it, but the issue appears to be coming up time and time again.

Specs are:
MB GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1561-AR GTX560 1G R Video Card
INTEL|CORE I7 960 3.20G R CPU
MEM 4Gx3|GSKILL F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL

Any help/advice/anything would be much appreciated.

More about : odd booting issue

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
October 15, 2011 11:55:40 PM

the boot failure is telling you that the computer cant "see" your hard drive to boot from

The most likely cause is that the hard drive is failing
By any chance is it a seagate 7200.11 model ?
m
l
October 16, 2011 12:44:02 AM

It is a seagate 7200.12 model. And I noticed that it cannot be seen myself here in the last 5 minutes. Issue reoccured and I attempted to restart my computer. When I booted Windows (in safe mode) it got stuck at CLASSPNP and just said Please Wait... Afterwards I decided I would simply reinstall, and when I went to choose my drive, it was not in the list. Freaking wonderful, so do you believe the hard drive is simply done?
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2011 1:09:02 AM

Beginning to think it might be a motherboard or an OS issue... Installed Windows onto a new disk that I know to be working, and had the same issue with Windows loading all files but not loading up completely. Just showing the little flag and says Starting Windows at the moment...
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:18:15 AM

the reason I asked about the 7200.11 is that they had a firmware problem that caused exactly this behavior .
The problem was supposed to be fixed with the 7200.12 but there have been very occasional whispers of the issue recurring .

You should check seagates website for a possible firmware upgrade . But it may already be too late .

The simplest fix is to buy a samsung F3
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:22:10 AM

Oilboyle said:
Beginning to think it might be a motherboard or an OS issue... Installed Windows onto a new disk that I know to be working, and had the same issue with Windows loading all files but not loading up completely. Just showing the little flag and says Starting Windows at the moment...

Thats interesting!

I see there different colored SATA ports on the mb. Try one of the ones of a different color . It probably has a different controller chip
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:27:20 AM

R the spec's it looks like it has 3 different SATA controllers

the blue ports are built in to the X58 north bridge
and then two on a Marvel controller
and two more on a Gigabyte controller chip

see if that makes a difference
m
l
October 16, 2011 1:38:39 AM

Currently seeing if I can get the second drive to boot using a windows xp disk (to rule out that the OS would be the issue). Will look into trying to use the different ports afterwards I suppose.
m
l
October 16, 2011 2:23:43 AM

No go on either solution,and just went to tell the computer what device to boot from, and the hard disk was not there. Perhaps it is time to give Gigabyte a call....
m
l
October 16, 2011 2:55:36 AM

First off, have you cleared your BIOS to default settings? That's the first step.
m
l
October 16, 2011 10:00:38 PM

steelbeast said:
First off, have you cleared your BIOS to default settings? That's the first step.

Sure have.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:19:28 PM

Final solution was simply to RMA the board. Called Gigabyte and went through about five minutes of "assistance" before explaining to the guy what I had already tried. At which point he quickly asked if I knew where their RMA form was :p  Should be getting it back soon, as they received it 3 days ago.
m
l
!