CPU bottle neck on mid-high CPU?

mufn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
The reason I have been having low random gpu usage drops and random fps drops recently is because I am bottlenecking. Usually I'd be playing a game just fine for a bout 5 mins straight when suddenly I get raped. These drops usually last for about a minute and my GPU usage will drop from 90% or so to 40% or so. I haven't monitored my CPU usage much during playing but during the drops my cpu usage will drop as low as 10%. I have an AMD phenom 965 BE, nVidia GeForce gtx 460, 4gb, ASUS m4n68t m v2, and a 650w power supply. Should I up the voltage on my CPU or something? There is no reason my cpu should be bottlenecking any nVidia card. I've checked my temps and they are ok. I've tried a few different driver versions, overclocked my cpu and gpu, tried gaming with default clocks, boosting up textures, lowering textures, lowering resolution, and boosting resolution.

mufn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I'm using pretty low settings in cod4. I can flawlessly run 250 and 333 fps just fine until the drops.

mufn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

That's what I don't understand. My temps are fine. And almost any decent quad core and some good dual cores should be able to feed a 460 just fine. I can flawlessly run this game, I just don't know why my cpu and gpu usage is so low. And i can't fine any drivers for my cpu. Do they even exist?

mufn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

I'm using the thermaltake tr2 rx. And my gpu drivers are up to date. I have been using different drivers to see what I can get out of them.