Explorer customization not remembered

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003

I converted my Win2K to XP some half years ago. Since then I am
a bit frustrated because the Explorer does not remember my settings.

For some program launch windows, I usualy set the view with "icons".

But, ocasionaly, mostly at next power-on time, several windows change
to "detail" display (without dolder explorer bar).
The size of the window become large instead of my favorite size, too.

I have checkmarked the
/ folder option / display / store each folder's setting /.
I also set the numer to 600 at
/ TWEAK-UI / Explorer / Customizations / Folders to remamber /.

(Some wording may be wrong as I use Japanese version.)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tak

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try this,
1. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog.
2. Navigate to the Registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. If
this key is not present, skip to step 8.
3. If a subkey named BagMRU is present, delete the entire
subkey.
4. If a subkey named Bags is present, delete the entire
subkey.
5. Look for a value named BagMRU Size (with a space
between BagMRU and Size).
6. If this value is not present, select New | DWORD Value
from the Edit menu and name the new value BagMRU Size.
7. Double-click on the BagMRU Size value, choose Decimal,
and enter the desired number of folder settings for Win
XP to remember (for example, 1,000).
8. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_
CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\ShellNoRoam. If
present, repeat steps 3 through 7.

If you want folders or other apps like Word or Internet
Explorer to remember thier settings and sizes, hold the
Shift button down when closing the window by clicking the
X in the top right corner.

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003

Thanks Tom,

[Question]
First thing first:
Is "BagMRU Size" correct? Isn't it "Bag MRU Size"?

[I did flwg]
Found the key BagMRU and deleted. Found Bags and deleted.
The same keys existed in ShellNoRoam, and deleted them.

Looked for "BagMRU Size" but could not find. I found
Bag MRU Size instead. The number in the value was
600(decimal).
I think this was my setting using Tweak UI. If so,
the original value used to be 400 and I have changed
before posting the problem here.

Anyway, I have changed the number of Bag MRU Size to
1000(decimal).
I created the value of BagMRU Size and set the number
to 1000, just in case.
I also did it in ShellNoRoam.

Now, let's see if the problem will go away. I need a couple
of days to confirm. Meanwhile, please respond about the
question above.

Tak

kelly

That setting in TweakUI does not work and it should have been corrected by
now. In the meantime, use this one:

Windows remembers 400 folder settings. When that number is reached some
settings aren't retained any longer. You can change this to 8000 by adding
this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Tak" <takfuji@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Tom,
>
> [Question]
> First thing first:
> Is "BagMRU Size" correct? Isn't it "Bag MRU Size"?
>
> [I did flwg]
> Found the key BagMRU and deleted. Found Bags and deleted.
> The same keys existed in ShellNoRoam, and deleted them.
>
> Looked for "BagMRU Size" but could not find. I found
> Bag MRU Size instead. The number in the value was
> 600(decimal).
> I think this was my setting using Tweak UI. If so,
> the original value used to be 400 and I have changed
> before posting the problem here.
>
> Anyway, I have changed the number of Bag MRU Size to
> 1000(decimal).
> I created the value of BagMRU Size and set the number
> to 1000, just in case.
> I also did it in ShellNoRoam.
>
> Now, let's see if the problem will go away. I need a couple
> of days to confirm. Meanwhile, please respond about the
> question above.
>
> Tak

Tak

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2003

Thanks Kelly,
OK, so the TweakUI's "Bag MRU Size" was in error. Understand.

The suggestion by TOM did work. I power-cycled some ten times
but the problem did not come back.

I compared your bags8000.reg with Tom's. The differences were
number of 8000 against 1000, and the last line "NoSaveSettings".

I installed bags8000.reg anyway, and changed 8000 to 1000, as 8000
sounds too much in my case (and 1000 worked).

Thanks a lot.
Tak