Gtx 590 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodyUSMC

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Ok so I have this weird problem going on with my system. I recently purchased a gtx 590 and I noticed in games like Crysis 2 I wasnt getting anywhere close to the fps others were with similar rigs. I came to the conclusion that I was being cpu bottlenecked (using a 1090t @ 3.2) so I decided to purchase a cooler master V6 gt and overclock to 4ghz and then suddenly my fps average in Crysis 2 shot 15-20 fps and I was very pleased but theres now a new problem. In some areas of the game where it should be very easy to run, my fps stays about the same and when I look up at the sky the fps shoots to 100 but will not move any higher at all like its being capped. I uninstalled and at first my fps was amazing and i was getting over 200 looking at the sky and then very shortly after loading and closing the game throughout the day the fps 100 cap was back and things seem to be limited at times. Im very confused as to what this is, seeing how I fixed my bottleneck. Any suggestions? I've also noticed this in gta Iv where sometimes I can get 60-80 fps on a certain area and the next day that same area I get 25. wtf?? :fou: System specs: Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-V EVO, RAM: 8 gb Corsair xms3 1333 overclocked to 1600 @ 1.65v, CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090t BE overclocked to 4ghz @ 1.425v, Graphics: ASUS gtx 590, Power Supply: AXP-800R14HE 800 watts. - Please help this is strange...

Solution
No its not bottlenecking. There were some issues with the 275 version driver with Crysis 2 and the updated 280 driver was suppose to fix those. Hope it helps.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
First of all you won't see a difference with anything above 45-60 FPS. Next, what kind of display do u have? Most displays cannot display more than 60 FPS anyways, unless u have a higher Hz monitor to be able to display those rates. Looking at something close to you is always going to cause more strain on the GPU and in return less framerate due to higher graphical complexity.

Also make sure the 590 drivers are updated. Newest driver came out a week ago I think.

As for gta 4 it is one of the worst console to pc ported game out. If you are using mods it makes it worse. Mods do make it look great btw.

WoodyUSMC

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

I'm currently using the 275.33 still but I'll try the new 280 driver and my monitor is only 60hz so yeah I wont notice a difference but there are parts where my system seems that its being sluggish and holding around 40ish in most of Crysis 2 at max 1080p dx 11 enabled and on that rare occasion where its suddenly faster it goes 60+ and I like that feel much better. I want it to hold and stay at the higher fps but I just don't know what the heck it is. I'm pretty sure it's not a bottleneck because once I got to 4 ghz the fps didnt increase anymore even when I went to 4.3 and I pushed the northbridge to 2400 and then 2600 then 2800 and didnt notice any difference unless my cpu was at stock speeds and I pushed my ram from 1333 to 1600 at 9-9-9-24 timings and I still didnt see a difference so I'm guessing I've pushed it as far as it will go. So the card being held back sounds like a driver or power issue since the bottleneck is gone. 800 watts should be plenty so I might try restoring windows and starting from the beginning with the new drivers.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

WoodyUSMC

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Used driver sweeper to clean out all old drivers and went straight to the new 280 driver. Set power mode in control panel to "prefer maximum performance" and restarted. Everything seems to be going good now so Im very pleased thank you all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.