Sign in with
Your question

MSI P6N SLI V2 - No Video

Last response: in Motherboards
November 13, 2012 5:02:43 PM

I have this old computer i use for playing some games and watching videos, today I turned it on and the monitor never turned on. The motherboard is a MSI P6N SLI V2. All status leds light up fine as always, when I turn it on after some seconds i heard one "beep" as when it boots normally, Windows (7) doesn't seem to start because when i press the power button again it turns off instantly, it doesn't suspend, but that could be because windows got broken after I turned it on and off with the button so much (happened before).

I tested clearing cmos, another vga card, another monitor and connecting the vga to the second pci slot. Also tested removing all the RAM, which causes a very long beep when turning it on, when i insert the RAM again the normal short beep returns. The monitors just stay on "power saving mode" when connected to the computer, doesn't matter if the pc is running or not.

I wanted to assume the mobo died, but the fact that it does the normal "beep" like if it was booting fine confuse me. Could a motherboard fail like this?

More about : msi p6n sli video

a c 557 V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 5:14:24 PM

What happens if you remove all HDDs and leave only the DVD drive installed?
November 13, 2012 5:18:10 PM

alexoiu said:
What happens if you remove all HDDs and leave only the DVD drive installed?

Same problem with and without hdds and/or dvd drive.
Related resources
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 5:39:13 PM

I would test a different power supply firstly, just to make sure it isn't a power issue. If still the same, then probably it's time for a new system.
November 13, 2012 5:54:42 PM

alexoiu said:
I would test a different power supply firstly, just to make sure it isn't a power issue. If still the same, then probably it's time for a new system.

I checked with a voltimeter and the psu 5v has 5.35v and the 12v 12.43v

Anyway I guess I will see that I can get borrowed first, if a psu or a mobo and test it. i don't think i will be disassemble my main pc to test it.
November 13, 2012 6:11:32 PM

Pull the video card and ram out and start it again. Do you get post beeps?
November 13, 2012 6:14:27 PM

Just saw where you tried removing the ram. Sounds like a bad PCI-E lane. D you have a PCI video card you can test with?
November 13, 2012 8:13:54 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies, it was the vga. I tested a new card and it works. It's weird, I don't see any capacitor blown up, and it never showed signs of not working well, i was using it yesterday without any problems, today when i turned it on all I got was a black screen.
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 13, 2012 8:20:15 PM

2154515,1,1468383 said:

I tested clearing cmos, another vga card, another monitor and connecting the vga to the second pci slot.

It's good you solved it. I thought you tested one.
November 13, 2012 9:17:49 PM

alexoiu said:
2154515,1,1468383 said:

I tested clearing cmos, another vga card, another monitor and connecting the vga to the second pci slot.

It's good you solved it. I thought you tested one.
said:

Yes I tested another card (7600gt) but i tested connecting the monitor to only one of the dvi connectors of this card, I now tested on the other connector and it worked.

Still have no idea what happened to the 8600GT, physically it looks normal and I always controlled the temp and it was under 60c.
!