Transferring images from camera to phone

Last response: in Technologies
October 30, 2004 8:56:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras.canon,alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Hi there.

I have a Canon PowerShot S45 digital camera and a Sony Ericsson K700i
mobile phone. Since the Canon camera is far better than the camera in
the SE phone, I want to be able to snap shots from the camera and
transfer to the phone for sending as a picture message, without the
need of a PC. This would be especially useful when travelling on
holiday...

The phone is Bluetooth-enabled, but the camera is not. I believe the
best solution would be to have a portable, bluetooth-enabled
memory-card reader that would take the CompactFlash in the camera,
then allow the phone to read from the card via a bluetooth connection.
In other words, this would be similar to a USB flash card reader, but
with a Bluetooth interface rather than USB.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any such solution anywhere. The
only "Bluetooth CompactFlash adaptors" I could find connect to a PDA's
compactflash slot to enable Bluetooth on PDA's, similar to how
Bluetooth USB adaptors enable bluetooth on PC's or laptops, but that
is not what I want.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Clyde
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 4:19:52 AM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:56:23 -0700, Clyde Ellul wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I have a Canon PowerShot S45 digital camera and a Sony Ericsson K700i
> mobile phone. Since the Canon camera is far better than the camera in
> the SE phone, I want to be able to snap shots from the camera and
> transfer to the phone for sending as a picture message, without the
> need of a PC. This would be especially useful when travelling on
> holiday...
>
> The phone is Bluetooth-enabled, but the camera is not. I believe the
> best solution would be to have a portable, bluetooth-enabled
> memory-card reader that would take the CompactFlash in the camera,
> then allow the phone to read from the card via a bluetooth connection.
> In other words, this would be similar to a USB flash card reader, but
> with a Bluetooth interface rather than USB.
>
> Unfortunately, I was unable to find any such solution anywhere. The
> only "Bluetooth CompactFlash adaptors" I could find connect to a PDA's
> compactflash slot to enable Bluetooth on PDA's, similar to how
> Bluetooth USB adaptors enable bluetooth on PC's or laptops, but that
> is not what I want.
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?

As the Powershot s45 is a 4megapixel camera, this generates 2272x1704 JPG
files, which are at a guess something like 500k to 1meg in size. These
files would not be suitable for incorporating into picture messages(MMS).

The k700i's camera takes 640x480(VGA) JPG photos, which are about 30-50k
in size, and are perfectly suited for picture messages. So I'd say use the
phone's own camera for picture messages.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:56:15 AM

michael turner wrote:

> As the Powershot s45 is a 4megapixel camera, this generates 2272x1704 JPG
> files, which are at a guess something like 500k to 1meg in size. These
> files would not be suitable for incorporating into picture messages(MMS).
>
> The k700i's camera takes 640x480(VGA) JPG photos, which are about 30-50k
> in size, and are perfectly suited for picture messages. So I'd say use the
> phone's own camera for picture messages.

Resolution is not the only advantage over the primitive phone cameras,
it's also the much better optics which will produce far better, sharp
pictures even if the resolution will be set to 640 times 480. And there
is the further advantage of both optical and digital zoom without loss
of quality.

For transferring the pictures from the Powershot to the phone there are
two possibilities, both using a Pocket PC such as the FSC Loox 720:

1. Connect the camera via USB to the USB host interface of the loox.
This will work with any camera supporting the standard USB protocol for
mass storage devices (working on XP computers without any specific driver).
2. Place the memory card from the camera to the Pocket PC. This will
also work with other Pocket PCs not supporting an USB host interface.

Finally create your emails by the Pocket PC Outlook, attach your pic and
send it via bluetooth to the phone and then to the internet.

There is a further way, buy buying a Ricoh Caplio Pro G3 camera and a
Socket CF bluetooth card. This 3 megapixel camera with good quality is
able to talk directly to the phone.
October 31, 2004 2:37:58 PM

Gerd Staudenmaier <XOSHXNNGYTRX@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<2ujgkcF2adle1U1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Resolution is not the only advantage over the primitive phone cameras,
> it's also the much better optics which will produce far better, sharp
> pictures even if the resolution will be set to 640 times 480. And there
> is the further advantage of both optical and digital zoom without loss
> of quality.

That is exactly my point. I'm happy to use the camera at 640 x 480
resolution for the purpose of sending with a picture message or email
from the phone.

> For transferring the pictures from the Powershot to the phone there are
> two possibilities, both using a Pocket PC such as the FSC Loox 720:

> There is a further way, buy buying a Ricoh Caplio Pro G3 camera and a
> Socket CF bluetooth card. This 3 megapixel camera with good quality is
> able to talk directly to the phone.

I do not own a Pocket PC and I have no intention of buying one for the
time being. Moreover, I am happy with my camera and wouldn't like to
change it for the sole purpose of sending picture messages, nor do I
want to have to carry two cameras while I'm on holiday! I need a
simpler and much cheaper solution, if that's at all possible...

However, thanks for trying to help just the same.

Regards,
Clyde
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 3:55:28 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:37:58 -0800, Clyde Ellul wrote:

> Gerd Staudenmaier <XOSHXNNGYTRX@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<2ujgkcF2adle1U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
>> Resolution is not the only advantage over the primitive phone cameras,
>> it's also the much better optics which will produce far better, sharp
>> pictures even if the resolution will be set to 640 times 480. And there
>> is the further advantage of both optical and digital zoom without loss
>> of quality.
>
> That is exactly my point. I'm happy to use the camera at 640 x 480
> resolution for the purpose of sending with a picture message or email
> from the phone.

OK you will get better pictures, but is it really worth it all the hassle,
inconvenience and extra expense for picture messages ?

From my own experience:

Picture messages are normally viewed on a phones own quite low-rez screen.

Picture messages are usually deleted after they've been read, viewed
and/or listened to.

Next thing someone will come along asking, how they can do *Hi-Fi*
*stereo* sound in picture messages ;-)

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 4:05:33 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 07:56:15 +0100, Gerd Staudenmaier wrote:

> Resolution is not the only advantage over the primitive phone cameras,
> it's also the much better optics which will produce far better, sharp
> pictures even if the resolution will be set to 640 times 480. And there
> is the further advantage of both optical and digital zoom without loss
> of quality.
>
> For transferring the pictures from the Powershot to the phone there are
> two possibilities, both using a Pocket PC such as the FSC Loox 720:
>
> 1. Connect the camera via USB to the USB host interface of the loox.
> This will work with any camera supporting the standard USB protocol for
> mass storage devices (working on XP computers without any specific driver).
> 2. Place the memory card from the camera to the Pocket PC. This will
> also work with other Pocket PCs not supporting an USB host interface.
>
> Finally create your emails by the Pocket PC Outlook, attach your pic and
> send it via bluetooth to the phone and then to the internet.
>
> There is a further way, buy buying a Ricoh Caplio Pro G3 camera and a
> Socket CF bluetooth card. This 3 megapixel camera with good quality is
> able to talk directly to the phone.

IMHO thats a lot of hassle and messing around:

How about one of these ?
http://www.concordcam.com/products/wireless/wireless.ht...
A Bluetooth equipped digital-camera.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:49:52 PM

michael turner schrieb:
> How about one of these ?
> http://www.concordcam.com/products/wireless/wireless.ht...
> A Bluetooth equipped digital-camera.

I know this one from my own experience. The quality is not much better
that that built into a mobile phone. Higher resolution but low quality
sensor and optics. Forget it, it's also discontinued now.
The only really good cammera supporting both bluetooth or WLAN by its
builtin CF slot is the Ricoh Caplio Pro G3.

Regards, Gerd
!