steatharsenal1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hello all,

I have been kicking around for a bit contemplating doing a little upgrade to my system. I am an avid gamer and by trade an engineer that from time to time works from home working on AutoCAD and SolidWorks drawings and what have you.

I am looking to run with an Intel build this time around. Seems I will get more performance for the money versus a higher end Phenom II for my current system.

Currently, I am looking at running with an i7 2600K (assuming the hyper threading would be beneficial in my CAD programs, which is my primary reason for picking the i7. If one thinks the i5 2500K would be sufficient for everything, I would be more than willing to go that route.) Also I would run Corsair Vengenance 1.5V XMP (2x4).

What I am have trouble finding (well not finding, but rather choosing) an adequate motherboard that is SLI capable. Right now I am currently running one (1) EVGA GTX 570 Superclock, but have been thinking more so recently about adding another card. With that said, what would be a good recommendation? I have used Asus primarily the past six or so years, but would be open to other suggestions. I have been suggested the Asus Sabertooth P67, but I am not really sure at this point in time.

As far as the usual questions go, this upgrade would go into the current rig in my signature. Everything will be reused aside from the motherboard, cpu and ram. I am not constrained by any budgets, but I also don't think a $400 motherboard is going to provide me with anything more.
I am looking for a nice performance upgrade over my current AMD setup.

Thanks

AbdullahG

Distinguished
An i5 2500k will satisfy your needs. An i7 2600k has HT which gives a 20% boost in CPU performance, but for $100 extra it isn't needed. It's more of a want than a need. As for you MoBo, the one posted by Admir is nice. I would also consider the AsRock Gen3 Z68 MoBo. It's about $130 and offers everything you need and more for it's price.

steatharsenal1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
How does the Z68 and its switchable graphics work? Can the feature be disabled so I can only run my GTX 570? I will take a look at the AsRock.

What are your feelings on the P67 chipset. The reason I am asking is becuase of my aforementioned question, and I don't run an SSD at the moment, so I would utilize caching.

Thanks

steatharsenal1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
This is probably a moot point at this time, but whether I go with an i5 or i7, I would be looking at an upgrade over my Phenom II 945? I want to make sure it makes sense to go ahead with this upgrade.

Thanks.