CPU Overheating @ 75C + Applied new thermal compound

xhifer

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Hello all.

My HP DV5-1004NR Laptop has been overheating for a long time. I am debating on rather or not to buy a HP Probook now.

The laptop:
AMD Dual Core Turion X2
4GB
2.10GHz
250GB @ 5400 RPM
ATI Radeon HD 3200

I have applied Arctic Silver 5 twice within the past couple of days and it still heats up to 75 C during light load with battery in/charging. Without battery it gets to around 68 C. Luckily I do not play games anymore. If I did, I would imagine it would get up to 100C! Anyways, I used the blob technique when applying the paste. I am completely lost. In BIOS, I tried to leave the fan on always with the same results. I've tried everything I can that's known to me. Is there any better heatsink for my laptop? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

what 13thmonkey said. Also, make sure the vents are all cleared up from any obstruction.
I don't know about better heatsink for a laptop, as they are usually OEM solutions with custom shape. The best you could find was another similar one, likely used.
After applying the paste ensure there is strong contact between the CPU and the heatsink. The paste will not replace a loose contact; it is there just to fill some minute spaces between the 2 surfaces. The blob technique tends to leave too much paste in between. I prefer smearing the paste in very thin layer on the CPU then pressing the heatsink on it and securing all the mount points of the heatsink to the CPU's socket. Worked every time.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
When you removed the old thermal paste did you use TIMclean or a similar solution? If not I suggest you get some, use it as instructed with some Lint Free Cloth and then re-apply the thermal paste in the blob technique as before.

If this does not work I suggest investing in a new heatsink system for the laptop or replacing the laptop entirely - parts for laptops tend to be extortionate.