MOBO or PSU problem?

celticguardian

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Hi guys;

Have started building a new computer.

I am having problems getting it to boot up at all, and the evidence would suggest that this is either a PSU or MOBO issue.

The PSU provides more than enough Volts for the MOBO; so there is no issue of underpowering here.

I have used the paper clip test for the PSU; and I was able to get the fan to turn doing so.

The processor is inside the MOBO, along with the heatsink and the CPU FAN cable which has been connected to the CPU FAN male connector.

I have verified that the PSU is connnected; that the mains power supply is ok (checked it with a lamp, working fine) and also that all the various connectors, such as the ATX 4 headed cable is inserted properly, as is the 24 cable. I have visually and manually verified that they are all inserted fully and without any gap.

This is now the second motherboard I have used; I purchased the mobo online from a reputable seller who tested the old one and then sent me a replacement. However the same issue has reared its head once again.

It is also worth noting that I have assembled the computer in a house where there was no carpets or rugs. There is wooden flooring and ceramic tiles everywhere.

I have touched the components only after grounding myself.

I am at a loss here guys; is it the MOBO or the PSU?
1 hour ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
Do I need to insert speakers for the beeps? Don't have any; I use headphones. Would that work?

I do not have the video card; hard drives or ram inserted or a monitor. It is just the PSU; MOBO and the Processor.

Given that the components are NOT within the chassis at present, I can safely rule out a short in the circuit.

In short; I am uncertain and unequipped to verify whether it is the PSU or MOBO.

Please help!

Quaddro

Distinguished

that's your problem.. :D

well, you can't build a working machine if it just consist of mobo,psu and processor only..:D

celticguardian

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I am well aware of that.

However, given that previously I assembled the entire machine including the video card, ram etc. installed with absolutely no response; I thought it would be better to start from the beginning, work my way up;' and verify that each part was working before moving on.

:bounce:
You need to attach a speaker to the case speaker terminals on the motherboard(Check your manual) in order to hear any POST beeps. Just plugging headphones into an audio out jack won't give you what you need.