Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps freezing

Last response: in Motherboards
November 13, 2012 7:09:54 PM

Firstly, my problems started with Windows XP, and you can find the explanation here, along with everything that I've done to try FIX the issue ( http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/bsod-freezes-cons... ). Posting it this way because, otherwise, this post would be massive.

Ultimately, I ended up switching to Ubuntu 12.10, which is already much better than XP, but my comp is STILL freezing.

I knew beforehand that it would freeze whenever I streamed video (on Youtube; I admittedly haven't tried any other streaming sites), along with other things, but is fine to watch video saved to my Hard Drive.

RECAP of things that freeze the PC:
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 in Windows XP.
- Windows Movie Maker
- Avid Pro Tools SE
- Youtube/streaming video/songs

SINCE I CHANGED TO UBUNTU, I have not used Adobe, obviously don't have Windows Movie Maker, and have not installed Pro Tools SE because I want to figure out why the comp is freezing. As such, the only thing that freezes the comp is:
- Youtube/streaming video/songs
- when Youtube is paused, opening the Dash freezes the comp.

I've tried taking out the PC battery, waiting ten minutes, and then reinstalling it. I thought it helped because I could watch a full video and play three songs without it freezing, but then, on the third song, I rewound the song to the beginning by clicking the very start of the progress bar (not dragging). It froze then.
- I did not have the option of clearing the "cache and shadowing". My BIOS version is Amibios v02.58.

Comp has also frozen at least twice whilst I've opened up/searched in the Dash.

I have two 2gig RAM sticks. I tried taking out one and running just the other - comp still froze. I did vice versa, and the comp still froze.

I took out my nVidia graphics card and used just the normal card on the motherboard to see if my nVidia was the issue, but my comp still froze.

I haven't got any heating issues that I can see. The fans work perfectly, they've recently been cleared of any dust.

I installed this Sensor thing which allows me to check the temperature of things. Whilst running a Youtube video,the CPU temp got up to 38c. The CPUfan got up to about 2033RPM, the graphics card got to 49c, and got the "sensor alarm", showing that this was obviously a high temperature based on the sensor's opinion.

When I had XP, I got a blue screen that said the blue screen was caused by my ethernet card. I updated the driver and didn't get that blue screen again.

It can't be strictly the ethernet card, though, because it froze when I was using Photoshop CS5 on Windows XP, too. It took about three or four hours of using Photoshop, and then when I went to 'file' to save the image, the comp froze. This happened at least twice.

I meticulously cleaned dust from the CPU fan and the power supply fan and the computer ran quieter, and I was able to watch Youtube a little bit longer, but the comp still froze.

So... now I'm left with wondering if it is a motherboard issue.

My motherboard is P5KPL-AM/PS.

What other info do you need in order to help me diagnose the issue?

More about : freezing

November 13, 2012 7:17:52 PM

PSU fail maybe? Also, try a memory check with Prime 95 (free download). If you get errors within the first few minutes, that's your problem. Other than that, I'd say it's the motherboard.

You say switching to Ubuntu doesn't fix the problem, so it's not an OS issue. It's a hardware issue.
m
l
November 13, 2012 7:22:38 PM

jwl3 said:
PSU fail maybe? Also, try a memory check with Prime 95 (free download). If you get errors within the first few minutes, that's your problem. Other than that, I'd say it's the motherboard.

You say switching to Ubuntu doesn't fix the problem, so it's not an OS issue. It's a hardware issue.

What is PSU?

I did memtest86 right before I switched to Ubuntu and it didn't pick up any errors. Is memtest86 the same as Prime 95?
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 9:50:41 PM

UPDATE: My computer was running fine just now, I was playing music that I've saved to my HDD, and then I plugged in my USB cord fo my printer and, inside five minutes, the computer froze. Youtube wasn't even up. I wasn't doing anything heavy graphic-wise.

Could this still be a USB issue? In which case, I'll have to replace the motherboard ANYway, right?

I don't think any capacitors are broken or anything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Krice_Verta/SAM_...
m
l
November 15, 2012 2:36:50 PM

Hello?
m
l
!