Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on new $800 AMD build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 16, 2011 8:26:48 AM

Hi guys I need some advice & opinions on a new build I have planned. I already have a full tower case, graphics card & power supply from my old system that I want to use in the new build. Gfx card, power supply & case are 6 months old.

New build specs:

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula 990FX
CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3ghz Black Edition
RAM : 2x4gig ADATA DDR3 1600 XPG Gaming Series
Cooler : Coolermaster Hyper 212
HDD : Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA6 32MB 7200RPM
PSU : Corsair CX600 Builder series(already owned)
GFX : EVGA GTX460 1gig Super Clocked(already owned)
Case : Noname brand full tower(already owned)

I was waiting for Bulldozer but I'm kinda dissappointed & that's why I want to get a Phenom II X6. This rig will primarily be used for gaming & some video conversion. Will the power supply be sufficient or should I be looking to upgrade?

Any opinions will help. Thanks guys!

PS: I already have a screen also 22" Samsung SyncMaster 2233

More about : advice 800 amd build

October 16, 2011 9:55:21 AM

The PSU is fine at current wattage. Just don't expect to run SLI or have anything intense like liquid cooling with it.
October 16, 2011 9:58:17 AM

Huh bulldozer is already out.
Related resources
October 16, 2011 12:07:56 PM

BohleyK said:
The PSU is fine at current wattage. Just don't expect to run SLI or have anything intense like liquid cooling with it.

Thx I'll be going on air cooling because I won't be overclocking, the motherboard seemed overkill but I want to be ready for 3TB hard drives when the prices drop in future.
October 16, 2011 12:11:24 PM

cutebeans said:
Huh bulldozer is already out.

Haha yes, but with the performance to price ratio now I'll rather wait for the following itteration of Bulldozer.
October 17, 2011 2:04:50 AM

I'm looking forward to the quads from Bulldozer as well. I doubt that the quads will be as big a disappointment as AMD knows thats where the market is. If they do fail with the quads, they mine as well just stop completely with CPU's. I'd keep the Crosshair. Thats why I went AMD with my gaming rig, the mobos are awesome and much more affordable.
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2011 2:28:05 AM

why not use a 955 X4 for the time being?
October 17, 2011 4:35:50 PM

BohleyK said:
I'm looking forward to the quads from Bulldozer as well. I doubt that the quads will be as big a disappointment as AMD knows thats where the market is. If they do fail with the quads, they mine as well just stop completely with CPU's. I'd keep the Crosshair. Thats why I went AMD with my gaming rig, the mobos are awesome and much more affordable.

Considering the Intel motherboard equivelant is more than double the price I'd also rather stick with AMD. Just look at the prices of the Gigabyte UD5's or 7's
October 17, 2011 4:44:56 PM

Outlander_04 said:
why not use a 955 X4 for the time being?

I want to get a AMD cpu that can kinda hold it's own against Intel's i5's and some i7's, so for a price difference of about $90 I thought I'd rather get more cores. It takes a lot of shopping around cause prices vary alot from shop to shop here in South Africa.
October 17, 2011 5:30:33 PM

althex said:
I want to get a AMD cpu that can kinda hold it's own against Intel's i5's and some i7's, so for a price difference of about $90 I thought I'd rather get more cores. It takes a lot of shopping around cause prices vary alot from shop to shop here in South Africa.


Well unless you're doing video editing and the like you really should just stick with a quad. The 980 is a 4.2GHz OC'er over the 955 hitting just 3.7GHz (at least for mine). Just food for thought. Won't hurt having six cores but it would save you money choosing a quad.

The i5 still meets or beats the six core overall anyways
October 19, 2011 6:53:17 PM

BohleyK said:
Well unless you're doing video editing and the like you really should just stick with a quad. The 980 is a 4.2GHz OC'er over the 955 hitting just 3.7GHz (at least for mine). Just food for thought. Won't hurt having six cores but it would save you money choosing a quad.

The i5 still meets or beats the six core overall anyways

Sadly no 980's are available online here, there is 970's though. Quad core is still a good bet especially because multi threaded games are still a rarity. The most video editing I will do is dvd to video conversion for my home theater anyways. Prices of some components here have gone up again. Damn I hate the exchange rate! Thx for the advice
!