Destop wallpaper disappears on restart

July 31, 2004 12:54:09 PM

When I restart my computer, the bmp file that I had
selected as my desktop wallpaper is missing and replaced
with a solid color. What can I do?
August 2, 2004 11:03:29 PM

If anyone figures this out, let me know. I have the same problem with Win XP Pro at work on a couple of machines. Seems like when you select a program that goes to full screen mode, like explorere, then the wallpaper disappears. When I check the properties it is there as it should be but will not reset itself unless I reboot.

It works for a while after reboot, but then it reverts back to the normal blue background and then it is reboot all over again.

Mike

"John" wrote:

> When I restart my computer, the bmp file that I had
> selected as my desktop wallpaper is missing and replaced
> with a solid color. What can I do?

August 3, 2004 2:28:24 AM

Try the edit on line 142 (right hand side)

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

> If anyone figures this out, let me know. I have the same problem with Win
> XP Pro at work on a couple of machines. Seems like when you select a
> program that goes to full screen mode, like explorere, then the wallpaper
> disappears. When I check the properties it is there as it should be but
> will not reset itself unless I reboot.
>
> It works for a while after reboot, but then it reverts back to the normal
> blue background and then it is reboot all over again.
>
> Mike
>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> When I restart my computer, the bmp file that I had
>> selected as my desktop wallpaper is missing and replaced
>> with a solid color. What can I do?

December 28, 2010 4:58:52 PM

I looked at ~30 forums for the solution to this and nothing worked. Set wallpaper, reboot, wallpaper displayed during boot, disappears on login.

Wallpaper would not display unless background color was changed and a different image was selected, then would disappear again next boot.

Disabling Active Desktop finally solved it. Microsoft gives several methods to "disable" AD but none actually do it. Here's the process to actually disable it in XP-

http://kennethg.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-to-remove-acti...

Hope this helps,

Aaron
!