Sign in with
Your question

Looking to upgrade:

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 16, 2011 4:27:14 PM

I have a Gateway FX4710-UB003A and I'm wondering what the best graphic card that will be compatible with this system. I'm looking to upgrade to run Civ5, SC2, and SWTOR (when it comes out) with a little more graphic enhancement.

Anything else I could upgrade in this machine to run the types of games better?

Thank you for looking and for any insight!

~Bob

Edit:

Looking at my power supply I have 400W Power Supply

The card I'm looking to get is the GeForce GTX 550 Ti

The system requirements for that card is:
System Requirements
Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)

Will I be okay installing this card or should I look to purchase a power supply as well? If so, which one ;) 

Thank again for helping a noob when it comes to upgrading computers...

More about : upgrade

August 16, 2011 10:29:08 PM

The GeForce 9800 GT that came stock with your Gateway has similar power requirements (min 400W / 26amp) unless it's the energy efficient edition (350w/22a). You might also want to check out this older discussion:Will 350W PSU support 9800GT energy efficient edition?

You can't go wrong with getting a slightly beefier psu if you can work it into your budget. There's a Cooler Master 500 for $39.99 / $29.99 after rebate

And odds are, you're probably not going to get any bigger bang for the buck than this upgrade.

FYI... I've been putting together a "weekend" (okay, more than a few) project for helping figure out PC upgrades based on what's already in your system and what you use it for. It's One Bit Better. While it's in beta (aka I'm working some kinks on the backend), you (and anyone else reading this) can use sign-up or use the access code 7fb9ff21. I'd really want to get feedback and suggestions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2011 10:37:02 PM

what is your full system specs including the make and model of your psu and your monitors resolution. What is your budget?
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 87 ) Power supply
August 17, 2011 1:59:33 AM

Don't get that PSU. Notice the red voltage select switch? Old design that will consume more power then it needs to. Notice the lack of a W following that 500? That means 500 is the model number, not the amount of power it can put out. Click on this link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Just above the caution note there is a line that says something about 3.3 +5 + 12vN not to exceed 431W. This is a 430W PSU. According to the chart it can do 360W on the 12V rails, so 30A. This one is much better. A bit more, but no rebate game to play so price might be similar if you get denied.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Can do 384W, or 32A. $43 shipped isn't a bad price.

The 9800GT and 550TI do share a close TDP, with the 550TI being higher of course. It's TDP is just under 120W while the non green 9800s where around 90W (going from memory.) You might be able to squeeze it in with your current supply but it would be close.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 87 ) Power supply
August 17, 2011 3:35:36 AM

That's the 192SP version of the GTX260. In that case he might as well get a 5770/6770 as they would perform about the same. But if he grabbed one of those he'd still have DX11, gain eyefinity, etc.
m
l
!