Sign in with
Your question

Cannot reset; BSOD in Windows

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2011 12:57:22 PM

Yesterday, I finished my first build and got it to boot and install Windows. However, it can't reset (from reset button or software). The screen just goes black and I have to keep the power button pressed to shut if off, then hit it again to turn it back on. Also, when I boot into Windows now, it gives me a BSOD as soon as I boot it up. No clear information is shown on it, and it doesn't happen when I go into Safe Mode. Trying to go into BIOS is no help because the menus don't display correctly. I haven't done anything on it except install Windows and a video card driver.

Specs:
MSI 970A-G45 motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 980 processor
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB 1600MHz memory
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 hard drive
LG CH12LS28 optical drive
ASUS Radeon HD 6870 915MHz 1GB video card
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W power supply
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 chassis

More about : reset bsod windows

October 16, 2011 4:06:21 PM

Seems that the BSOD issue was resolved once I took a closer look at my system; turns out a RAM stick wasn't seated properly. The reset and BIOS problems still persist, though.
m
l
October 16, 2011 4:45:24 PM

Update motherboard bios
Swap the power and reset connector and use your reset button as power, and the
power switch as reset and see if that works.
m
l
October 22, 2011 2:34:26 AM

Okay, the reset button works now, but the BSODs have started again. I get them after a minute in Windows, and they only appear for a second before the monitor goes completely blank. I tried going into the BIOS, which now appears properly on my new display, but it freezes after a few seconds. This is all with only one RAM stick.
m
l
!