Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bottleneck?

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2011 3:02:02 PM

I know how to build a computer and how it runs but I need more knowledge on "bottleneck".

OK, I am getting an GTX 560 (not Ti), into this system I assemble two moths ago:

Motherboard: p5g41c-m lx

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333mhz

GPU: GTS 250 (upgrading to GTX 560)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6850 (I'm pretty sure this CPU will do nicely, also it is better performance than the Q6600)

PSU: 550 Watts (I might get a better brand like Corsair or Antec)

All I need to know is the GTX 560 will be a suitable upgrade with this specification?

Also If it will "bottleneck" the system tell me why and how?

Thanks I hope this is specific enough...

More about : bottleneck

October 16, 2011 3:14:51 PM

There are a few factors when determining a bottleneck, but I would deal with the question of how good your PSU is. Can you list the brand and model number so we can check it?
October 16, 2011 3:35:24 PM

I'm in my laptop right now, also in holidays. But I know my brand is "Super Flower" and the max is 550 Watts.
Is the PSU mainly cause the bottleneck for a good specification?

I know that the Antec or Corsair will be a good brand, I know I need a 600 Watts PSU or lower can you give me an list which PSU will better for my motherboard?
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2011 3:39:30 PM

There is ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck. Once you upgrade one part - some other part will be the next bottleneck. So, don't worry about it. Get a balanced system with the best performance parts your budget allows.

The only way a PSU can cause a bottleneck is if it can't supply the right amount of power for upgrading your higher performance parts.
October 16, 2011 3:39:52 PM

It wouldn't be the cause of a "bottleneck," but it could give you a nice fireworks display. If the PSU isn't from a good OEM (and some super flower PSUs are) then I wouldn't trust it with my components. If you're not concerned then I'll ask is your CPU overclocked at all? What games do you play or plan to play and at what monitor resolution?
October 16, 2011 3:43:02 PM

WR2 said:
There is ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck. Once you upgrade one part - some other part will be the next bottleneck. So, don't worry about it. Get a balanced system with the best performance parts your budget allows.

The only way a PSU can cause a bottleneck is if it can't supply the right amount of power for upgrading your higher performance parts.

Yes, there will always be a bottleneck in a system, but I think the OP is concerned as to whether his CPU will bottleneck his GPU. This is a valid concern and I believe it will. In most cases I recommend buying a new GPU first and seeing how it goes from there. Or I recommend just waiting until they can build an entire new system to avoid this problem at all.
October 16, 2011 3:47:02 PM

OK, mainly I know that the GTS 250 can still play the latest games such as Rage, Dues Ex: Revolution and Dead Island but In 1024x800 resolution mostly on high settings. Also I don't overclock my CPU, RAM or GPU.
I might thinking to play the resolution more than 1024x800 what will be the max I can play in?
October 16, 2011 3:50:25 PM

Also I build this system together two months ago with the GTS 250, because I know what hardware is supported for the motherboard, mostly I'm concerned is the PSU with the GTX 560 or with CPU, but I know that the E6850 is a pretty strong CPU...
October 16, 2011 3:51:01 PM

CoM-FiX said:
OK, mainly I know that the GTS 250 can still play the latest games such as Rage, Dues Ex: Revolution and Dead Island but In 1024x800 resolution mostly on high settings. Also I don't overclock my CPU, RAM or GPU.
I might thinking to play the resolution more than 1024x800 what will be the max I can play in?

In that case I would recommend buying a new monitor first. Get a nice LCD that is at least 1680x1050 resolution because you'll enjoy it a lot. After that you should consider getting a new video card, but right now I feel it would be a waste of money for you since you're not getting much out of it.
October 16, 2011 3:58:35 PM

Are you talking about the GTX 560 that will not be a good gaming card?
I already bought an LCD monitor I like, forget what resolution is it but I know its way bigger than my old monitor but I am not putting on very high resolution. I thought the GTX 560 will be the best choice for games this year, I know it will run better than the GTS 250...
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2011 4:02:26 PM

Buy the biggest, baddest video card you can afford with your PSU -- the C2D 6850 can be a 'heater' but should do quite well. A new monitor would make yah a happy camper, too.

Look out for the 'OC'ed' 560s -- they pull a bunch of watts ...

Anandtech GTX 560 article here

A Radeon HD6870 might work a bit better if the Dark Side is an option.

October 16, 2011 4:03:36 PM

WR2 said:

I see what you mean about bottleneck, so I need to get the right amount of Watts for all my hardwares?
October 16, 2011 4:06:38 PM

Your PSU is fine.
Your CPU is OK and your GPU is a good match for your CPU.
What is the native resolution of your new monitor?
October 16, 2011 4:16:27 PM

WR2 said:
Your PSU is fine.
Your CPU is OK and your GPU is a good match for your CPU.
What is the native resolution of your new monitor?

If his PSU doesn't supply an sufficient amount of amps to the 12v rail then it won't be fine. Since he can't give us the model this second we don't know anything about it including how old the unit is or if it has two PCI-E 6pin connectors. He could also be using molex connectors with his GTS 250 and I doubt you would be willing to recommend that if the PSU has a split rail.
October 16, 2011 4:17:46 PM

I wish I can know, just forget what is the default resolution for the new monitor, but I know its not bigger than 1900x1200 I think is around 1500 or lower. I knew I pick the right choice for this upgrade, I just need to make sure If it will be playable with no sign of lag for BF3 and Skyrim. I know the recommended settings is GTX 560 for BF3 and Skyrim needs a less powerful video card than the GTX 560, so I think I'm heading the right track...

Best solution

October 16, 2011 4:22:29 PM

CoM-FiX said:
I wish I can know, just forget what is the default resolution for the new monitor, but I know its not bigger than 1900x1200 I think is around 1500 or lower. I knew I pick the right choice for this upgrade, I just need to make sure If it will be playable with no sign of lag for BF3 and Skyrim. I know the recommended settings is GTX 560 for BF3 and Skyrim needs a less powerful video card than the GTX 560, so I think I'm heading the right track...

At 1680x1050 or lower the GTX 560 would be fine running BF3 and Skyrim. I do know that BF3 likes anything with more than 2 cores on the CPU, but the video card would give you the biggest increase in performance before anything else. As I said before, I recommend getting a new GPU before anything else if you can't build a new system at that moment. The best thing to do is buy everything new at the same time. The only question now is if your PSU won't blow up on you for using a card that pulls a little bit more power over your current one.
October 16, 2011 4:24:51 PM

macabre215 said:
If his PSU doesn't supply an sufficient amount of amps to the 12v rail then it won't be fine. Since he can't give us the model this second we don't know anything about it including how old the unit is or if it has two PCI-E 6pin connectors. He could also be using molex connectors with his GTS 250 and I doubt you would be willing to recommend that if the PSU has a split rail.

Sorry forget to mention the GTS 250 has a 6-pin connector with 2 molex cables connect to the PSU and the PSU is an 24-pin connector to the motherboard. So what will be a good upgrade PSU for my motherboard that works with my CPU and GPU?
October 16, 2011 4:28:20 PM

List the model for your PSU. Is it new? Several years old?
If new, I'm sure it will be enough even for the GTX 560 but it's best to check.
October 16, 2011 4:28:35 PM

macabre215 said:
At 1680x1050 or lower the GTX 560 would be fine running BF3 and Skyrim. I do know that BF3 likes anything with more than 2 cores on the CPU, but the video card would give you the biggest increase in performance before anything else. As I said before, I recommend getting a new GPU before anything else if you can't build a new system at that moment. The best thing to do is buy everything new at the same time. The only question now is if your PSU won't blow up on you for using a card that pulls a little bit more power over your current one.

As I said I have an P5G41C-M LX
and this is the connection for the PSU:

24-pin EATX power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
October 16, 2011 4:29:28 PM

CoM-FiX said:
PSU is an 24-pin connector to the motherboard.
Get the model number of your PSU.
October 16, 2011 4:30:37 PM

WR2 said:
List the model for your PSU. Is it new? Several years old?
If new, I'm sure it will be enough even for the GTX 560 but it's best to check.

I think is pretty old I might take a guess, might be around 2004-2006, but I believe that I need to find a better PSU for this upgrade.
October 16, 2011 4:30:57 PM

CoM-FiX said:
24-pin EATX power connector
4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
That's useless information without the model number of the PSU.
Or the the PSU data posted on the PSU.
October 16, 2011 4:33:17 PM

CoM-FiX said:
I think is pretty old I might take a guess, might be around 2004-2006, but I believe that I need to find a better PSU for this upgrade.
This is the type of info you needed to provide.
In older budget PSUs - they will loose the ability to provide full rated power over time.

October 16, 2011 4:35:16 PM

WR2 said:
Get the model number of your PSU.

As I said before I'm in holidays, but I can give a call to one of my family members in the house to give me the details tomorrow, does the "model number" matter, do I have to have the same model number as that so I can find a new one that will support my motherboard?
October 16, 2011 4:37:53 PM

Planning on getting the new PSU while you're holiday?
Where you at?
October 16, 2011 4:50:52 PM

WR2 said:
Planning on getting the new PSU while you're holiday?
Where you at?

Here in Australia, I just visiting friends and family's form other parts from Australia.
October 16, 2011 4:53:56 PM

Quote:
A good way to tell if your cpu is bottlenecking your system is to open up the task manager with ctrl+shift+esc and going to the performance tab and seeing what your cpu usage is at. If It is getting close to 90% then you know your cpu is bottlenecking the gpu(s).

Your psu does seem like its on the end of its rope. Would be best to archive it and pick up a Corsair,Antec,XFX,Seasonic,Enermax,PC P&C psu.

Corsair has some inexpensive TX or CX models or some nicer modular high rating AX or HX models.

Antec HCG and Earthwatts

XFX Core Editions

all good quality affordable psus

Basically you are looking at

~$375 for the GPU+PSU (depending on if you want to run SLI or not later)
~$350 for the CPU+Mobo (i5 2500k and a p67 or z68 nice mobo)

What case are you using?

I like your answer but I remember my CPU is lower than 25% with the GTS 250, what will you think for an GTX 560 with the Intel COre 2 Duo 6850?
October 16, 2011 5:08:31 PM

No I don't want to overclock, the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 with the GTS 250 It can run any games mostly on high settings such as Assassin Creed: brotherhood, Dead Island, Rage (which require a quad) all in 1024x1000, also the E6850 is stronger than the Q6600.
October 16, 2011 5:10:43 PM

Quote:
What games do you plan on playing?

Also can you tell me what case you are using for all of the components?

Your cpu is only a dual core so its going to have a harder time for cpu intensive games so at larger resolutions with the 560, you are most likely going to run into some issues.

Have you considered overclocking the cpu?

I know the case is for socket 775 motherboards thats all I know sorry for the case read above reply^^..

Oh and I'm not using much components only 2 hard drives(320gb sata and 500gb e-sata), one dvd burner (old model), GTS 250 (upgrading to GTX 560), 2x 2 GB DRR3 RAM KINGSTON 1333mhz, and the PSU that I keep mentioning...
October 16, 2011 8:11:10 PM

WR2 said:
This is the type of info you needed to provide.
In older budget PSUs - they will loose the ability to provide full rated power over time.

OK, just got the model Number: SF-500T14
October 20, 2011 1:30:32 AM

Best answer selected by CoM-FiX.
!