Confusions..... Updating the BIOS

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Intel
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 4:59:21 AM

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS...

Intel Desktop Boards BIOS Update Instructions:

"Update the BIOS only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem on your computer. Intel does not recommend BIOS updates for computers that do not need it. You can view all BIOS changes in the Release Notes included on the BIOS download page in the Intel Download Center."

-----> I don't have any problem with my current BIOS version, but I still want to update it, just for the kicks maybe, because a newer version is available, and I think Newer is better. So, Should I or Shouldn't I?

"Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version is not recommended and cannot be supported. An earlier BIOS version cannot contain the support for the latest processors, bug fixes, critical security updates, or support the latest board revisions currently being manufactured."

-----> Downgrading means??? Suppose, I updated my BIOS. So, Now, some problem popped up and I want to downgrade. So, if I downgrade my BIOS to my earlier version, is that a problem?

"If a BIOS update process is interrupted, your computer can not function properly. We recommend the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS)."

-----> Is this true? If, by chance, my power supply fails (Anything can happen in this world, you know), my computer won't function properly ever??? This is SCARY...

"Before updating the BIOS on the Intel® Desktop Board, manually record all BIOS settings that have been changed (from default) so they can be restored after completing the BIOS update."

-----> If someone could actually mention exactly which settings I need to note down Manually,....

More about : confusions updating bios

Best solution

a c 481 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
November 14, 2012 5:18:37 AM

the bios chip is a small soilder on chip the mb most new ones now are 4/8m in size and have a main and back up bios. some mb you do need to update the bios code for ram or cpu or a bug fix.that why most good vendors have a text file or post on the bios download web page the bug fix the bios patch does. on most mb once you flash the bios you change the chip forever and cant flash back. if the power goes out during a bios flash it will brick the mb where it may not post or be able to be recovered. all mb bios have a factory default setting most time it a f5/f6 key hit in the bios then a save and exit. never flash a bios from inside windows..most time the anti virus program will cause the bios flash program to fail. the right way is from a usb dos program or from inside the bios..most mb have bios flash program built into them.
a c 136 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
November 14, 2012 5:20:22 AM

The warning is there for a reason if you update the bios and one of many things happen the motherboard is toast. I comes down to the old adage "if it isn't broke don't fix it" upgrading the bios is not recommended unless it fixes an issue you are having, if everything is working fine leave it alone, especially if you don't know what you are doing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 8:15:49 AM

Best answer selected by vinaykumar5320.
m
l
!