Some interesting new features on Widcomm 4.0

Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:

"Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"
which ensure a common set of features between two Bluetooth devices.
Bluetooth profiles are developed and standardized through the Bluetooth
Special Interest Group (SIG). BTW 4.0 features many of the latest profiles,
which provide advanced multimedia capabilities including:

a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile

BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the ability
to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone or digital
camera and a PC. "

More about some interesting features widcomm

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621
    >
    > "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software
    > "profiles," which ensure a common set of features between two
    > Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth profiles are developed and standardized
    > through the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). BTW 4.0 features
    > many of the latest profiles, which provide advanced multimedia
    > capabilities including:
    >
    > a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
    > a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
    > a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile
    >
    > BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the
    > ability to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone
    > or digital camera and a PC. "

    > Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
    > Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon
    > as they're available:
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344

    The A2DP profiles should make a few people here happy :) My Belkin dongle
    packed up, so I'm using an SE serial cable instead. A question for you
    Mauricio if I may - does this version allow WinXP to switch off rather than
    reboot like v1.3.2.7 did on my PC?

    Which BT dongles use this s/w?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >>
    >> a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
    >> a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
    >> a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile
    >>
    >> BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the
    >> ability to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone
    >> or digital camera and a PC. "
    >
    > The A2DP profiles should make a few people here happy :) My Belkin dongle
    > packed up, so I'm using an SE serial cable instead. A question for you
    > Mauricio if I may - does this version allow WinXP to switch off rather
    > than reboot like v1.3.2.7 did on my PC?

    Not sure of the full capabilities - the software is just now being tested by
    O&M, so won't expect it before a couple of months - or even more (last
    version from TDK took almost six months, while D-LINK was like two months
    after the announcement).

    I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with rebooting PC
    after installing the v1.3.2.7?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    <Snipped>
    > I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with
    > rebooting PC after installing the v1.3.2.7?

    My PC under WinXP wouldn't turn off when requested but would always reboot
    instead. Remove the BT stack (I tried disabling modems, BT LAN etc) & I can
    power off XP.

    I will replace my broken Belkin dongle at some point & was mulling over to
    use the Widcomm stack or just MS's (I'm guessing that it won't screw-up
    power off). If any application or h/w messes up power management, it gets
    ditched or replaced. I'm sure the BT stack could have been made far more
    modular such as being able to add new profiles to existing versions.

    Somewhat OT, I've sold on my T610 & upgraded to a K700i, apart from having
    noticeably better RF & audio performance, my aging HBH-15 now seems to work
    much better than it ever did with either a T39 or T610, ie - now usable, no
    more fading or noise - amazing. Even managed to get the email client working
    for the 1st time to the point where I can attach ~100k photos. It was a
    fault at Vodafone's end: not enabling the APN correctly for email on my
    account.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > <Snipped>
    >> I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with
    >> rebooting PC after installing the v1.3.2.7?
    >>
    > My PC under WinXP wouldn't turn off when requested but would always reboot
    > instead. Remove the BT stack (I tried disabling modems, BT LAN etc) & I
    > can power off XP.
    >
    > I will replace my broken Belkin dongle at some point & was mulling over to
    > use the Widcomm stack or just MS's (I'm guessing that it won't screw-up
    > power off). If any application or h/w messes up power management, it gets
    > ditched or replaced. I'm sure the BT stack could have been made far more
    > modular such as being able to add new profiles to existing versions.
    >
    > Somewhat OT, I've sold on my T610 & upgraded to a K700i, apart from having
    > noticeably better RF & audio performance, my aging HBH-15 now seems to
    > work much better than it ever did with either a T39 or T610, ie - now
    > usable, no more fading or noise - amazing. Even managed to get the email
    > client working for the 1st time to the point where I can attach ~100k
    > photos. It was a fault at Vodafone's end: not enabling the APN correctly
    > for email on my account.

    Ah... I understand. Well, I've used Bluetooth USB dongles since version 1.2
    and never had this problem. I'm currently using Windows XP Service Pack 2
    with Widcomm 1.4... I'm not considering using the Microsoft stack, it does
    not offer all profiles available on Widcomm...

  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Ivan Gotcha" <Ivan@.com> wrote in message

    > Which BT dongles use this s/w?

    Not disclosed yet. I think the usual suspects: Belkin, TDK, Bluetake,
    DLINK...

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Thanks
    Ah, by the way, which do you recommend?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    > Thanks
    > Ah, by the way, which do you recommend?

    TDK and Bluetake.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621

    > "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"

    I hope they also fixed that gaping security hole that has been in their
    software for about a year now. Where I can download that security fix?
    Or am I supposed to throw away my old dongles and buy some new ones?

    <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/371443>

    Regards...
    Michael
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Michael Mauch" <michael.mauch@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    >> Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
    >> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621
    >
    >> "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"
    >
    > I hope they also fixed that gaping security hole that has been in their
    > software for about a year now. Where I can download that security fix?
    > Or am I supposed to throw away my old dongles and buy some new ones?
    >
    > <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/371443>
    >
    > Regards...
    > Michael

    The document says it's fixed on release 3.0, the current announcement is
    4.0, so it should be ok.

Bluetooth Audio