Some interesting new features on Widcomm 4.0

Last response: in Technologies
November 2, 2004 12:36:21 PM

Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:

"Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"
which ensure a common set of features between two Bluetooth devices.
Bluetooth profiles are developed and standardized through the Bluetooth
Special Interest Group (SIG). BTW 4.0 features many of the latest profiles,
which provide advanced multimedia capabilities including:

a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile

BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the ability
to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone or digital
camera and a PC. "

November 2, 2004 12:36:22 PM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621
>
> "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software
> "profiles," which ensure a common set of features between two
> Bluetooth devices. Bluetooth profiles are developed and standardized
> through the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG). BTW 4.0 features
> many of the latest profiles, which provide advanced multimedia
> capabilities including:
>
> a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
> a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
> a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile
>
> BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the
> ability to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone
> or digital camera and a PC. "

> Geekzone Software Store: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
> Our RSS feeds give you up to date information on new software as soon
> as they're available:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3344

The A2DP profiles should make a few people here happy :)  My Belkin dongle
packed up, so I'm using an SE serial cable instead. A question for you
Mauricio if I may - does this version allow WinXP to switch off rather than
reboot like v1.3.2.7 did on my PC?
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 12:36:22 PM

Which BT dongles use this s/w?
November 2, 2004 1:37:45 PM

"Paul Busby" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
>>
>> a.. GAVDP -- Generic Audio Video Distribution Profile
>> a.. A2DP -- Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
>> a.. AVRCP -- Audio Video Remote Control Profile
>>
>> BTW 4.0 also supports the Basic Imaging Profile, which provides the
>> ability to "push" and "pull" images wirelessly between a mobile phone
>> or digital camera and a PC. "
>
> The A2DP profiles should make a few people here happy :)  My Belkin dongle
> packed up, so I'm using an SE serial cable instead. A question for you
> Mauricio if I may - does this version allow WinXP to switch off rather
> than reboot like v1.3.2.7 did on my PC?

Not sure of the full capabilities - the software is just now being tested by
O&M, so won't expect it before a couple of months - or even more (last
version from TDK took almost six months, while D-LINK was like two months
after the announcement).

I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with rebooting PC
after installing the v1.3.2.7?

November 2, 2004 1:37:46 PM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
<Snipped>
> I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with
> rebooting PC after installing the v1.3.2.7?

My PC under WinXP wouldn't turn off when requested but would always reboot
instead. Remove the BT stack (I tried disabling modems, BT LAN etc) & I can
power off XP.

I will replace my broken Belkin dongle at some point & was mulling over to
use the Widcomm stack or just MS's (I'm guessing that it won't screw-up
power off). If any application or h/w messes up power management, it gets
ditched or replaced. I'm sure the BT stack could have been made far more
modular such as being able to add new profiles to existing versions.

Somewhat OT, I've sold on my T610 & upgraded to a K700i, apart from having
noticeably better RF & audio performance, my aging HBH-15 now seems to work
much better than it ever did with either a T39 or T610, ie - now usable, no
more fading or noise - amazing. Even managed to get the email client working
for the 1st time to the point where I can attach ~100k photos. It was a
fault at Vodafone's end: not enabling the APN correctly for email on my
account.
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:02:25 PM

> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> <Snipped>
>> I don't understand your problem... Did you have problems with
>> rebooting PC after installing the v1.3.2.7?
>>
> My PC under WinXP wouldn't turn off when requested but would always reboot
> instead. Remove the BT stack (I tried disabling modems, BT LAN etc) & I
> can power off XP.
>
> I will replace my broken Belkin dongle at some point & was mulling over to
> use the Widcomm stack or just MS's (I'm guessing that it won't screw-up
> power off). If any application or h/w messes up power management, it gets
> ditched or replaced. I'm sure the BT stack could have been made far more
> modular such as being able to add new profiles to existing versions.
>
> Somewhat OT, I've sold on my T610 & upgraded to a K700i, apart from having
> noticeably better RF & audio performance, my aging HBH-15 now seems to
> work much better than it ever did with either a T39 or T610, ie - now
> usable, no more fading or noise - amazing. Even managed to get the email
> client working for the 1st time to the point where I can attach ~100k
> photos. It was a fault at Vodafone's end: not enabling the APN correctly
> for email on my account.

Ah... I understand. Well, I've used Bluetooth USB dongles since version 1.2
and never had this problem. I'm currently using Windows XP Service Pack 2
with Widcomm 1.4... I'm not considering using the Microsoft stack, it does
not offer all profiles available on Widcomm...

November 3, 2004 11:29:58 AM

"Ivan Gotcha" <Ivan@.com> wrote in message

> Which BT dongles use this s/w?

Not disclosed yet. I think the usual suspects: Belkin, TDK, Bluetake,
DLINK...

November 4, 2004 6:51:55 AM

Thanks
Ah, by the way, which do you recommend?
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:55:41 PM

> Thanks
> Ah, by the way, which do you recommend?

TDK and Bluetake.

November 4, 2004 11:55:49 PM

Mauricio Freitas wrote:
> Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621

> "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"

I hope they also fixed that gaping security hole that has been in their
software for about a year now. Where I can download that security fix?
Or am I supposed to throw away my old dongles and buy some new ones?

<http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/371443&gt;

Regards...
Michael
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 3:02:24 PM

"Michael Mauch" <michael.mauch@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Mauricio Freitas wrote:
>> Yep, that's right... From BTW 1.4 to BTW 4.0:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3621
>
>> "Broadcom's WIDCOMM BTW 4.0 incorporates the latest software "profiles,"
>
> I hope they also fixed that gaping security hole that has been in their
> software for about a year now. Where I can download that security fix?
> Or am I supposed to throw away my old dongles and buy some new ones?
>
> <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/371443&gt;
>
> Regards...
> Michael

The document says it's fixed on release 3.0, the current announcement is
4.0, so it should be ok.