Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Where to buy parts for a custom build laptop?

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2011 6:44:28 PM

I've been looking around for a reputable website that sells parts I can build a laptop from without any luck. I'd like to have a system that uses one of the new Sandy Bridge mobile processors like the i7 2760QM. What I'm looking for is basically the barebones pieces I can start with like a motherboard and case. I only have experience building desktops, but I fix laptops so I know how one goes together.
I know that getting a pre-built laptop from a company like Dell or Lenovo is cheaper, but I value customization on my terms, not based on the little check boxes they have on their "build a laptop" website. Besides, that sort of takes the fun out of it for me.
So has anyone got websites I can go to where I can get some barebones pieces for a laptop based on the new Sandy Bridge mobile processors?
October 16, 2011 7:13:36 PM

The most barebones of laptops will only be missing RAM, CPU, and HDD. Building your own from "scratch" is pretty much impossible. Try shopping at http://www.xoticpc.com
They use barebones laptops and will sell you compatible CPU, GPU's. If you want to the satisfaction of building it yourself. you can always rip it apart.

Score
!