Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

AMD Phenom II X6 1065T Thuban 2.9 GHz

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 16, 2012 5:09:38 PM

My Gigabyte mb GA-MA78G-DS3HP can support an AMD Phenom II 1065T 2.9 GHz cpu...but I can't find one. I can find the 1055T and 1090T but no 1065T. I'm wondering why the 1065 is hard to find. I want install the fasted X6 Thuban that is available just because I can.

I'm sure that the 1055T will be more cpu than I'll ever need.

Are the Phenom II X6's being discontinued by AMD? Is AMD focusing on the FX series now?

Newegg is out of stock on the phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Deneb. Since it was out of stock I started looking at the X6's but the 955 Deneb has been out of stock for almost two weeks now.

The 1055T is looking better to me everyday. I can afford it...is there any reason to choose a Phenom II X4 over the X6?
January 16, 2012 6:36:25 PM

Phenom II's are considered EOL. They are slowly discontinuing them and going with Bulldozer FX procs. While this doesn't sit well with some people, AMD is trying to move on.

The 1065T is completely discontinued from what I have read. If you do not want a 1055T (Which is only 100 Mhz slower) then you should look at the 1090T (3.0 Ghz) which is only $30 more than a 1055T.

Also, your board is an AM2+. These boards are not going to fully utilize what the X6's have to offer. But if you do decide to purchase one, make sure you do a bios update with your old proc first. But Honestly, I would look into getting a different setup.

Hope this helps!
Score
0
January 16, 2012 7:03:56 PM

johnb0118 said:

Also, your board is an AM2+. These boards are not going to fully utilize what the X6's have to offer. But if you do decide to purchase one, make sure you do a bios update with your old proc first. But Honestly, I would look into getting a different setup.

Hope this helps!


what do you mean by 'fully utilise'?
i'm planning to get an 1045t for my am2+ socket but will it run slower than it usually would?
would it be better to get an x4 instead?
Score
0
Related resources
January 16, 2012 8:00:32 PM

yes, i have an AM3 board. the 1055T will be fully functional...

so the 1065T has been discontinued. that's what I had guessed.
Score
0
January 17, 2012 1:50:12 AM

johnb0118 said:
Phenom II's are considered EOL. They are slowly discontinuing them and going with Bulldozer FX procs. While this doesn't sit well with some people, AMD is trying to move on.

The 1065T is completely discontinued from what I have read. If you do not want a 1055T (Which is only 100 Mhz slower) then you should look at the 1090T (3.0 Ghz) which is only $30 more than a 1055T.

Also, your board is an AM2+. These boards are not going to fully utilize what the X6's have to offer. But if you do decide to purchase one, make sure you do a bios update with your old proc first. But Honestly, I would look into getting a different setup.

Hope this helps!



I would like to get the 1090T, but the 1090T is not on the list of supported cpu's for my mb.

I'll just have to go with the 1055T. It will be more than enough for what I want.

It's a bit suprising that a discontinued product such as the 1065T would still be listed on the AMD site.
Score
0

Best solution

January 17, 2012 2:01:45 AM

The 1055t and 1090t are the exact same CPU, just with different settings. both are 6 core 125w Thulban's, same cache, etc. They literally get printed off the same die.

One is just allowed an unlocked multiplier in the settings and clocked a bit faster (1090t) while the other isn't.

If one will work in your motherboard, the other will as well. The 1090t is literally the exact same as the 1065t (both unlocked) they just turned up the speed a little every couple months a bit.

The site for your motherboard probably just never got updated since the newer version of the CPU came out. But it is literally exactly the same, and will work just fine. Just do as the other poster said and update your BIOS with the old CPU 1st.

That said, what CPU do you have in it now? If you already have a Phenom 2 x4, it's really not worth upgrading and you should instead save for a new platform.
Share
January 17, 2012 2:15:39 AM

presently, i have an athlon 64 x2 brisbane 2.7GHz. i am hopefull that an X6 will be a quality upgrade.
Score
0
January 17, 2012 2:17:14 AM

Yargnit said:
The 1055t and 1090t are the exact same CPU, just with different settings. both are 6 core 125w Thulban's, same cache, etc. They literally get printed off the same die.

One is just allowed an unlocked multiplier in the settings and clocked a bit faster (1090t) while the other isn't.

If one will work in your motherboard, the other will as well. The 1090t is literally the exact same as the 1065t (both unlocked) they just turned up the speed a little every couple months a bit.

The site for your motherboard probably just never got updated since the newer version of the CPU came out. But it is literally exactly the same, and will work just fine. Just do as the other poster said and update your BIOS with the old CPU 1st.

That said, what CPU do you have in it now? If you already have a Phenom 2 x4, it's really not worth upgrading and you should instead save for a new platform.


I had wondered if that were the case. I may just give the 1090T a shot.
Score
0
January 17, 2012 1:01:34 PM

Yargnit said:
The 1055t and 1090t are the exact same CPU, just with different settings. both are 6 core 125w Thulban's, same cache, etc. They literally get printed off the same die.

One is just allowed an unlocked multiplier in the settings and clocked a bit faster (1090t) while the other isn't.

If one will work in your motherboard, the other will as well. The 1090t is literally the exact same as the 1065t (both unlocked) they just turned up the speed a little every couple months a bit.

The site for your motherboard probably just never got updated since the newer version of the CPU came out. But it is literally exactly the same, and will work just fine. Just do as the other poster said and update your BIOS with the old CPU 1st.

That said, what CPU do you have in it now? If you already have a Phenom 2 x4, it's really not worth upgrading and you should instead save for a new platform.



Well, Newegg is out of stock on the 1090T...using the same argument on the cpu support list the Phenom II X4 960 T Zosma is on the list as well as the 955 and 945 Deneb's. Newegg is out of stock also on the 955...is the AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz is in stock. would the 975 work even though it's not on the support list. With the appropriate bios update.

Score
0
January 17, 2012 1:01:55 PM

Best answer selected by toddstew.
Score
0
!