P8Z77-V PCIE speed

John01_S

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
After a couple of fustrating days trying to figure out why a new build with P8Z77-v pro and Evga GTX 560 was not working at full speed. I thought I would post for others looking since I have seen a few posts with various video cards and people trying to get help without much offered. This board and Bios have been a steep learning curve trying to figure out the clocking and turbo parameters but that is another issue.

GPU-z showed PCI 1.1 , 16X and
Sandra showed PCI 2.0 16X , 2.5Gbs idle and under load.
After installing new Bios 1708 and Intel Chipset 9301021 from Asus site. It now works with
GPU-z showing PCI 1.1 switching to PCI 2.0 under load
Sandra showing PCI 2.0 and 5Gbs under load.

I am uncertain what running the Chipset updated since the driver versions for Z77 and related look the same to me and updateing the Intel Chipset drivers seems to be another one with not much usefull info.

Bejusek

Distinguished
It's normal for graphics card to lower pci-e link speed and width to reduce power consumption. GTX 560 utilizes pci-e 2.0 speed, so everything is correct - it reduces link speed to 1.1 when idling and returns to 2.0 under load.

E:
You won't get 3.0 speed, if that's what you try to do. Please note, that pci-e 2.0 specification with 16 lanes offers much more bandwidth than gtx 560 can saturate.

Bejusek

Distinguished

So is it ok now or not?
Or do you mean that link speed changes from 1.1 to 2.0, but card core/memory clocks remain the same?

John01_S

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Yes it is ok after updates. Sorry should have called it data rate ( bus x clock) Gpu-z is reporting Data rate as PCI version pci 1.1/ pci 2.0 and Sandra is reporting Data Rate as 2.5 Gbs/ 5Gbs .Before updates always PCI 1.1 in GPU-z and 2.5 GB in Sandra after updates GPU-z reports PCI 2.0 under load and Sandra reports 5GB under load

John01_S

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I just noticed that the Hd4000 video is not in Device manager any more. With last bios it showed up regardless of bios setting and I did not load the windows driver so it showed yellow exclamation now it is gone with video set to PCIE in Bios