Motherboard on its way out?

madcowscarnival

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Here is my problem. My integrated LAN randomly starts "detecting the network adapter / unable to renew IP" errors in the sys log. This is after it has been functioning without flaws. It is not a problem with the router or cable, it is within my system. It is solved only with a restart. Additionally, I am getting more and more frequent "driver detected a controller error" notifications in system log for my main drive. I have swapped physical cables with my second drive (which never issues that error) and swapped ports on the M/B, thus it leads me to believe there is no problem with the cables. This has begun to cause my system to hang. It started with having multiple PDF docs open, and would completely hang requiring a hard restart; it then began to occur when navigating too quickly through google earth (which I use frequently for work). Additionally, a more subjective error is the system used to emit a high-pitched squeal when scrolled to the top of a page which I though unusual. Finally, the graphics on the monitor show several lines out of sync with the screen (they jump around or are slightly fuzzy).

What am I looking at? Hard drive failure, M/B failure or a combination of the two?

System:

Elitegroup GF8200A using integrated graphics
WDC Hard Drive
Athalon 7850 dual core
4G RAM

G

I would first check Hard drive. Download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from western digital s website. Or do a Google search, then filter by your Hard drive type.

Run the short test, if that passes try the long test (which can take awhile, depending on drive size). If it fails either you could have a bad HDD, backup your critical data and start looking for a new one.

I just had my 4 year old HD fail on me. Start noticing extremely long retrieval times, and random freezes that would last for 30+ seconds all the time. I downloaded that tool and it told me what I already knew, but just reassured me, and I went and bought a new one the next day.

patrucker

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
As odd as this sounds, it COULD be power supply. They usually die all at once, but if its slowly going out, you would see some of these issue.

I would try this, just in case.

1.) Shut down the pc.
2.) Unplug the power cord.
3.) Move your ram to different slots (if you have open slots available)
4.) While the PC is unplugged from power, press and hold the power button for about a minute.
5.) Reconnect power and start up the PC.

My house has HORRIBLE power. Sometimes we have mini brownouts. The things you describe have happened to me after a brown out. The steps I described cleans up the problem for me.

You could try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the network card driver as power problems can corrupt the drivers.

The strangest issue I ever had from this was with a 1.5 TB hard drive. It's reporting SMART errors. It shows something like 2250 errors. Here's the clincher - it's been reporting them for 2 years. All utilities I run on the drive show that the drive is 100% healthy EXCEPT for the SMART errors.

Good luck.

madcowscarnival

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Power supply was something that had crossed my mind back when I first started experiencing the issues. When I built the system, I put in a PS that was matched to my requirements, rather than over-spec'ing it. It wasn't the highest quality unit either. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give those a shot tonight and possibly replace the PS this weekend.

madcowscarnival

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
ky_ecsusa,

Thanks for responding. I'll take a look at the BIOS. Off hand, does ECS have a diagnostics program that would monitor the M/B to determine if the fault is present there; maybe voltages to the M/B from the PS? I have run a program checking out the HD and it reports as passing.