Nvidia busted again for cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arktik

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

So...Nvidia gets crytek to create objects with huge teselation that slows their own cards by 17% just so they can make radeon cards slow down by 30%? This sounds like inefficiencies made by crytek who wanted to get something out fast so it would cost them less and keep the sales of the PC version up while it was still in momentum. And if your damning nvidia for this, your also damning crytek for it as well.

Disclaimer: i am by no means a graphics card expert, either way, I think this theory is far fetched. Not only would nvidia need to be mean enough to do this (Which I don't doubt entirely) but so would crytek.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
What about the millions Nvidia spent on bribing Crytek? God you are green if you actually think this isn't totally deliberate. Nvidia has a history of it. And yes Crytek is just as much to blame.

I think you are drawing a much bigger conclusion out of that article than you should be. Yes, AMD cards take about twice as large of a performance hit to run tessellation as an nVidia card does, this is well know and true across the board. Any amount of tessellation would result in a decent slowdown on both sides, with the AMD cards showing a much bigger hit, this isnt news and im not sure why you think there is bribery going on but i highly doubt it. It doesnt even appear that nVidia got optimized drivers for it or they should have a slightly lower hit than they do.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yeah right I mean fully tesselated water features that you can't see and those barriers - the most tesselated features in any game so far. For what is basically a straight line - just so happens they are all over the game lol.

No wonder Nvidia tries this crap when savants are queuing up to defend them. Pathetic!

4745454b

Titan
While not surprised, I'm not convinced either. Considering the time issues they had getting it out, that might be the reason why "water" is still in the scene. Unless a smoking gun email is found I don't see how you can claim this is Nvidia's fault. Yes it's possible, but they might have been lazy or ???

Arktik, Nvidia is mean enough to do this. Of this I have no doubt. None at all.

Well, here is some good news, if you look in the CCC with some of the more recent drivers, there is now a slider to control how much tessellation that can be used.

AMD cards aren't necessarily slower at tessellation, but they have limited tessellation units, where at Nvidia can convert more of their Cuda cores to tessellation units, allowing them to handle more and more if needed.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

No. You don't go adding massive levels of tesselation to flat objects for no reason except you deliberately want to slow down the game. Adding tesselation to flat objects is even more deceitful than usual as it is almost impossible to notice without the special program which shows the level of tesselation.

This is pure cheating and dishonesty by Crytek and Nvidia. If it was just the water then I'd have said it is possibly just bad coding or an oversight, but huge levels of tesselation on flat objects cannot possibly be either.

4745454b

Titan
The water under the pavement is what I don't understand. I'm assuming that anytime they have water, they simply code water then put stuff on top of it. Is this lazy or is it Nvidia paying them off to do something that hurts the competition? The barriers is just odd. No reason to tess those.

flipt

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I have a 570 and feel good that if any game comes out that does implement a true tesselated game, then I am decent shape choosing Nvidia since the GPUs dedicate more resources for it. Unfortunately, PC gamers as a whole will likely get stiffed until new generation consoles come out supporting those features.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I like the tesselated barriers, they look so real in 3D, a screen shot doesn't tell you what it actually looks like in the game when you are moving around an object and seeing it from all angles.

"In fact, we doubt the DX11 patch for this game would even exist without Nvidia's urging."

If that's cheating than please keep cheating Nvidia.

If that GPU PerfStudio is to be believed (it is ATi software after all) then all it seems to show is that ATi cards are useless when it comes to tessellation and Crytek are useless when it comes to coding, so what's new?

Both sides cheat all the time and isn't new since the stone age. It is when they try to fix prices together to screw the consumer that pisses me off like they had done from 2004 through 2006 just to make an extra buck but for a badly coded game who gives a rat's ass.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

AMD cards are absolutely fine when it comes to tesselation. You are confusing Fermi's overdone tesselation as being "better" when in fact it's worse. The only thing "better" about it is it slows down Nvidia's own card less, there is zero IQ gain in either case.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Of course they were urging it, how else were they going to be able to cheat with tesselation? You do know tesselation is only available with dx11 right? :whistle:

Your first posting for a little while and your agenda is quite clear IMO. :lol:

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Actually, Cuda Cores are much better at 3D rendering.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Yes it's clear, is it again the TOS to link to other articles on the web?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Yes, it works quite nicely on my GTX 465s, I'm glad I didn't purchase an inferior brand that is unable to deliver on what in my opinion is DX11s best feature. It's not cheating just because your card sucks at it. Troll.

well regardless if they are cheating this still proves that nvidia 5 series gpu can handle tess much better than there radeon counterparts, period. Crysis 2 is a good example of what games may demand in the future.

Do you mean against? If so then that would depend on the site as much as the reason for posting it I suppose, does it present another angle? Or is it just more flame-bait/conspiracy fuel?

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Why not read the article, they seem to make it quite clear what they believe is going on? Or does it hurt too much to once again see your precious Nvidia cheating and lying their way to benchmark wins?

For the rest of you, you didn't buy a faster card, Nvidia is slower and they have to resort to this cheating so they can con you into spending more cash on slower cards. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Maybe you'll learn for next time.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Rubbish, go read up on tesselation before spouting more nonsense please.

Status
Not open for further replies.