Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Removing two pins from a 6+2 connector

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2012 6:52:32 PM

Hello fellow geeks!

I have a 6950 that needs to be powered through two 6pin connectors, but my PSU has one 6pin and one 6+2pin. Now for my question, I want to re-sleeve my PSU, is it possible to get rid of the extra 2 pins on the 6+2 connector by cutting them off or something? Aestetics is king :-)

Thanks!
January 16, 2012 6:54:49 PM

Najse said:
Hello fellow geeks!

I have a 6950 that needs to be powered through two 6pin connectors, but my PSU has one 6pin and one 6+2pin. Now for my question, I want to re-sleeve my PSU, is it possible to get rid of the extra 2 pins on the 6+2 connector by cutting them off or something? Aestetics is king :-)

Thanks!

you dont need to cut it off. you can just simply plug the 8 pin into the 6 pin (but make sure you've got the right side on. it should come with a manual saying how to connect a 6+2 pin connector.)
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 6:57:38 PM

The connector itself should only fit it one way round as the "normal" design is for one or two of the Pins to have a slightly different shape at the connector itself.
Score
Related resources
January 16, 2012 7:01:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies, but I fear I might have worded by question a bit wrong. I have no problems connecting the pins, what I'm after is a way to get rid of the 2 pins that dangles next to the cable, as I don't need them; my cable looks like this:

http://goo.gl/DfCp8

and I want the extra 2 pins to go away before I sleeve my cable :-) Hope this clears it up.
Score
January 16, 2012 7:07:31 PM

So to sum up my question, can I just take a cable cutter and cut of the 2 dangling pins with no fear of shorting my PSU/GFX?
Score

Best solution

January 16, 2012 7:26:04 PM

What I would do is pull the pins out of the 2 pin connector shrink wrap them individually and run the sleeve over top of them, that will hide them and they will be there just in case you need them in the future.
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 7:26:06 PM

It's nice you want to cut those cables, but in doing so you don't want those bare wires to touch anything.

What happens if you need that cable in the future? I would just route it out of the way.

If you do cut them, make sure the bare wire doesn't touch any metal...
Score
January 16, 2012 7:33:39 PM

Well, as I said in my first post, I have a 6950 right now, and so I don't really need to upgrade my graphics card in the near future.. and when I need to upgrade some years from now, I'll probably need a new PSU anyways, as my current is rated at 550 watts.

The problem with routing is the fact that the two extra pins are on really short cables (as seen in the picture I linked to), so you can't really route them anywhere.
If I chose to cut them off, the small remaining stumps of cable will be hidden underneath the new sleeving, so they shouldn't really be near anything metal.

So to reiterate, there should be no problems in cutting them off as long as i keep the stumps away from anything metal?
Score
January 16, 2012 7:34:37 PM

@D1RTYJU1C3: thanks for the answer, never thought of that, good call :-)
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2012 7:52:26 PM

I wouldn't cut them at all. Not only would you have to absolutely keep them from anything metal, you would also have to keep them away from each other.

If they offend you all that much, leave it out of the sleeve bundle it, and tuck it away somewhere. Plus you may always need it later in case you upgrade your gpu.
Score
January 16, 2012 8:05:53 PM

Najse said:
@D1RTYJU1C3: thanks for the answer, never thought of that, good call :-)

No problem man, just make sure you shrink wrap them individually that will keep them protected from each other and anything else. [:bohleyk:1]
Score
January 16, 2012 8:54:54 PM

Best answer selected by Najse.
Score
!