Sign in with
Your question

Did i just ruin my cpu? What should i do?

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2012 7:24:08 PM

I have a bad injury and dont have money to pay someone to build me a computer, nor do i trust someone to build one for me because everyone says theyll make me a computer that can do X Y and Z and it cant even do A B or C.

I had to re install my LGA 2011 intel core i7 and was using arcticlean to remove the old thermal paste and purify the surface with bottle #2. I noticed the Purifier evaporates fairly fast. Anyways after some drama that happened in my room i had been holding onto the cpu for some time, i flipped it over to make sure everything looked good and it seemed as if some of the arcticlean had rolled over and gotten on the bottom. Now im not sure if it got on there before or as i turned the cpu around to look at it. It could have been the arcticlean themal compund remover bottle #1 but im fairly sure it would have been bottle #2 considering the circumstances. For all i know it could have been sweat lol, but i highly doubt that. Either way it looked like it was wet, but i noticed after further inspection that it wasnt, but that the liquid had discolored the bottom of the cpu slightly. Its an LGA 2011 i7-3690X cpu. I was in a lot of pain and rushed to just put the computer back together and finish a different day, so i followed all the normal steps i would do and put everything back together, thermal paste/compound and all.

Now please dont be rude, if you have nothing yo contribute thats positive just dont say anything at all. The reason i ask this is because i know this was a mistake i made that i learned from and some of the people on this forum can be so rude that i tend to not make this forum my first stop for asking questions anymore.

Anyways the are that got wet was literally the size of 1 or 2 drops of water, or in the case of the arcticlean exactly one drop.

I asked about this and got a response that i should take a blow drier to the cpu to try and liquefy the arcticlean and then all i could do was test out the cpu to see if it works or not. The reason for the blow drier im assuming is to make sure nothing liquefies when the cpu is installed and gets hot. He didnt explain what setting what level of heat or anything, and i dont use blow driers so can someone give me some advice here, and lemme know whether this sounds like a good idea or not.

Also lemme know if u guys think i should just test the computer now since i know the cpu is dry but still discolored, or if i should do the hair dryer method, or if theres some other way to test the cpu so i dont harm my mobo or any other parts in my build.

Thanks for your time.

More about : ruin cpu

a c 185 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 7:44:03 PM

Send the cpu back
m
l
January 16, 2012 8:20:07 PM

And what would i say? Product came damaged, i messed up the product...? I believe i got the cpu over a couple weeks back or more on either amazon or newegg.
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
January 16, 2012 8:32:13 PM

I beleive the hairdrier idea is to just make sure all the moisture is gone. I doubt the discoloration will 'sweat' something out under heat. The little board is coated with a varnish like substance to prevent moisture from getting in so you probably only discolored that or dissolved it.

With removing and reinstalling the cpu I'd be more concerned about socket damage. Those pins can be a pita if you're not attentive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2012 9:06:38 PM

lol @ the hairdrier solution. The thermal cleaner / purifier stuff you can buy is designed to leave zero residue so as long as the CPU is completely dry I cant see there being any problem at all
m
l
January 17, 2012 3:48:41 AM

Alright sounds like I'm good to go thanks for the info guys, the hair drier idea was gonna kill me if there was nothing I could do to not fix the problem. I haven't had any problems with the pins everything fits nicely only thing that worries me now are the scratches on the heatsink from over tightening the CPU the first time. Thanks again guys and wish me luck XD
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 8:00:34 AM

Im a bit confused, as you say you can not afford to have some one build you a PC but at the same time have enough cash to buy an LGA 2011 i7-3690X ?

Anyway as said above, your tim cleaner is designed to evaporate leaving zero residue, you will be fine so fire her up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 10:20:29 AM

amuffin said:
Send the cpu back

Hi :) 

Owning computer shops , I just hate that answer....

IF he ruined the CPU... why should the supplier replace it ?

At best it is sharp practice, at worst its fraud....

If and I repeat IF he ruined it he should BUY another one....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 17, 2012 1:13:32 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Owning computer shops , I just hate that answer....

IF he ruined the CPU... why should the supplier replace it ?

At best it is sharp practice, at worst its fraud....

If and I repeat IF he ruined it he should BUY another one....

To play the system, if he can send it back and get a replacement why not? Anyone in there right mind would.

On Topic/ Just test it out, I'm sure it will all work fine. I would not worry about very small marks on the bottom of the heatsink. With thermal compound is added it will fill the scratches.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 1:42:39 PM

Playing the system as you call it increases prices for everyone....and no anyone wouldnt, honest people would admit it was THEIR mistake and BUY a new cpu...

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 1:53:13 PM

Firstly, make sure the CPU is properly dry and cleaned to the best of your ability.

If the CPU doesn't work, then consider returning/replacing it.

Accidents happen, and while its not actually the manufacturers responsibility to replace the CPU since you yourself damaged it, if there's any chance they will.....then by all means just do it.

There's times in life where being honest will get you somewhere, and times when it wont. This is one of the times where it will get you no-where and leave you out of pocket.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 1:57:05 PM

This is one of the times where it will get you no-where and leave you out of pocket.

And rightly so as its his fault.
m
l
!