Noobie, please help!

rogernation

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I have an HP Desktop with M2N78-LA AM3 Socket 95W TPD MOBO. I pulled the CPU Fan out to clean it and the AMD II X 4 Processor came out with it. as I re-installed it I must of not lined up the pins correctly and bent several of them. In addition, after a few attempts to straighten the pins and re-install the CPU I noticed a burn mark on the socket.

I asked a computer repaier guy about replacing the CPU and he said it may or may not work since the motherboard my have been damaged do to the burn mark.

So my question is this. Should I replace the motherboard and CPU and just drop it in my old desktop? If I do that I was told I would also have to Re-Install Windows, and the computer repair place charges $120.00! on top of the new motherboard and CPU.

I hate spending money on labor that I feel I may be to do myself and save the labor charges. Can't I just buy windows 8 and install it myself after replacing the motherboard and CPU?

I know I can buy a new motherboard and cpu and install it in my old desktop that dosn't seem too hard, then I can go buy windows 8 and re-intall the OS. Am I on the right track at all.

Any suggestions would help. Thank you!!!

Frys has an amd combo for $50 after rebate good until tomorrow (link broken). This special is in last friday's ad.
Check craigslist for a windows 7 dvd w/coa unopened or for used motherboard combos. Windows 8 is mostly for touchscreen devices and not worth paying retail for a desktop. Offer less if the seller has had trouble selling his copy. Microcenter also has combo specials if you live near one.

rogernation

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012