Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2012 8:23:46 PM

I have a new Pc with an intel core 2 duo.
Can anyone tell me what games i am capable of playing with this processer?
I have just upgraded from a AMD Sempron 3800+ @ 2.21Ghz.

Can anyone tell me how much improvment there will be between them?

Just to tell you the rest of my system specs:
Current

AMD Sempron 3800+ @ 2.21Ghz.
2GB or ddr2 667 RAM
250 HDD
Zotac Geforce GTS 250

New

Intel core 2 duo e7400@ 2.8Ghz
4gb of ddr2 ram. 2 sticks 667. 2 sticks 800
750 combined HDD (500+250)
Zotac Geforce GTS 250

Thanks for replies

Bud

More about : intel core duo e7400

a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2012 12:59:08 AM

Looks like anandtech's website don't work for me :/ 
Related resources
January 17, 2012 1:54:12 AM

Block Bud said:
I have a new Pc with an intel core 2 duo.
Can anyone tell me what games i am capable of playing with this processer?
I have just upgraded from a AMD Sempron 3800+ @ 2.21Ghz.

Can anyone tell me how much improvment there will be between them?

Just to tell you the rest of my system specs:
Current

AMD Sempron 3800+ @ 2.21Ghz.
2GB or ddr2 667 RAM
250 HDD
Zotac Geforce GTS 250

New

Intel core 2 duo e7400@ 2.8Ghz
4gb of ddr2 ram. 2 sticks 667. 2 sticks 800
750 combined HDD (500+250)
Zotac Geforce GTS 250

Thanks for replies

Bud

Just so you know, you cannot mix and match ram of different speeds. DDR2 667 cannot be paired with DDR2 800.
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2012 2:44:14 AM

My wife's rig is using the e7400 and a 4850 @ 1920x1080. The setup should be very similar. She runs WoW, Sims 3, CoD4 (son), Borderlands (son), Oblivion and a few other DX9 era titles. These run fine. Shogun and Civ5 brought her rig to its knees. I wouldn't even bother with newer DX11 games like BF3 or Metro2033.

Hope this helped.
January 17, 2012 2:59:50 AM

You'll be fine if you use reasonable settings.

I have C2D e6300 (1.86ghz), 800mhz A-Data ddr2 running at 667(because of different CL's) and MSI radeon4850 1gb @stock speeds (fairly similar performance to your zotac).

I play games like:
Metro2033, Skyrim, Dead Space 2, Fallout 3/New Vegas and a bunch of older games which require less.

I'm not pleased with my processor, but it does it job well (for an 1.86ghz proc).
January 17, 2012 2:56:14 PM

Thanks for all the really quick replys.

So do you think i will be able to play skyrim??
And i also want to know if my GTS 250 will fit my new motherboard.
My new PC is a Hp Compaq DC5800.
And also does anyone else know where i can get a VGA splitter box as i am getting a dual screen setup to go with the new pc

PS
Can i mix 2 diffrent ram speeds (667 and 800) or not??

Thanks for all the replys
Bud
January 17, 2012 3:32:14 PM

Block Bud said:

Can i mix 2 diffrent ram speeds (667 and 800) or not??

I'm not sure if you can, prolly would work, but i'm not giving a 100%. It usually has to do with JEDEC standars, if both modules support the same standard, they'll work. For example a if your Ddr667 modules have timings of 5-5-5 , then it would prolly work with ddr800 which has timings of 6-6-6 at 800mhz but 5-5-5 at 667 profile. Therefore your 800mhz modules would run only at 667 mhz with the same timings as your original 667modules maxed (5-5-5), but they would work (Yay!).

If you got the extra cash and not up for the hassle, its safer just to buy 4 new modules, instead of pairing the 667 and 800 ones.
I'd suggest you to got for 4 new identical modules, if youre not that tech-minded, or if you cant find out if the memory modules you're getting support the same timings as the old 667mhz ones, e.g. 800mhz @667 with timings of 5-5-5.

I hope i made some stuff clear. It's up to you, if you're gonna risk or, just pay bit more for the non-risk option.
If you're not certain you can always 2 modules, and if they don't work together with your old ones, you could buy 2 new identical to the 800mhz ones you purchased before them?

Sorry if the stuff i'm saying is hard to understand, its hard to focus when in serious headache(plus English isn't my first language).

Well anyways, i hope, i've helped. Enjoy your new rig, once it's finished!:) 

EDIT: I'm pretty certain you can play Skyrim. I play at 1920x1080, with aliased image... Or with little bit of lag and some anti-alias. Remind you that lag is caused by my slow proc, not the graphics card, as the cpu can't handle processing antialias, AI, and other stuff at the same time with such ridicilously low speeds.
January 17, 2012 5:31:43 PM

Thanks for another replay

So if i put in my 667 modules into the other 2 slots and left them. Would the system automatically under clock my 800 modules? or would i have to do it via BIOS

I havent really go the extra cash but i did see some 800 modules i maplin for 35£. and that was 4gb.

Thanks for all your help

PS
Anyone else who has anything more specific about what games and things i can do (i use AAE quite alot).

Thanks for all your help
Bud
January 17, 2012 5:55:21 PM

Block Bud said:
Thanks for another replay

So if i put in my 667 modules into the other 2 slots and left them. Would the system automatically under clock my 800 modules? or would i have to do it via BIOS

I havent really go the extra cash but i did see some 800 modules i maplin for 35£. and that was 4gb.

Thanks for all your help

PS
Anyone else who has anything more specific about what games and things i can do (i use AAE quite alot).

Thanks for all your help
Bud

Well you can call it underclock, if you want, but actually it's running at a slower profile.

Tell you what, find out on what latencies your current rams run on, and tell me which ram modules youre going to buy.
I'll try to find out if they theoretically work (remind you, i'm still not 100% sure if they work, i'm just a college student in IT sector and a computer hobbyist, not a post- graduate or some kind of an expert).

You can find them out by downaloading and installing a piece of freeware software called CPU-Z. It just reads your CPUID , and info about your system. It really isn't that big of an program and it doesn't affect your pc performance at all.

Get it form here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
January 17, 2012 8:57:28 PM

I already have the 4 modules as 2 of them are in my current PC, and the other 2 are in the pc on my bedroom floor.
I have SIW.
my timings are
5-5-5-15-20 at 333.3mhz
same for both modules. I can only tell you the ones i have in my current pc as the other one isnt functional atm. I am planning to sort of Frankenstein them toghether putting the best bits (gpu,hdd,psu) into my new one with the dual core

They are both made by Hyundai Electronics and there part number is HYMP112U64CP8-Y5

Just opened new pc up and it says there RML number(??) is 1520EC48D7W-800

sorry about all the hassle
is there any chance i can overclock the ram to meet 800?

Thanks for putting the time and effort in, i really appreciate it.
Bud
January 18, 2012 8:24:37 AM

Oh i did the frankenstein stuff with most of my computers, not really for the fun of it (though its fun too), but because i'm a an college student(in other words: not very rich lol) and computer parts are much more expensive in my country.

It's possible to force the slower rams to run faster(if you dont have an bios lock, like i do), but i'm afraid they will degrade your 667 mhz ram much faster, not worth the minimal perofmance you gain from there. As the timings are concerned, they both should work fine on JEDEC 333mhz standard or with other words on 667mhz profile( as your 800mhz modules work on 800mhz at 6-6-6 timings, therefore should be backwards compatible).

PS! From 667, to 800mhz isn't much increase in performance, its only about 2-3gBit/s increase.
From about 10 point something to 12.8 gBit/sec..

It wouldnt be much increase for gaming, as most of the calculations are done actually on the ram modules of your videocard.

The ram on your computer isn't used that often as the ram on your GPU.
Only time it's used is when the processor cannot find a certain command or piece of information stored inside the internal cache(L2 cache, and L2+L3 on more modern processors). Therefore it fetches it from the ram modules. So the CPU cannot use more speed then ram at that time, e.g, acts like 667mhz perocessor. But it's not that much of an performance loss.. For gaming and home use that is..

As long as you don't have regular DDR memorys(which you don't), you're fine.

P.S.
Ram performance actually comes handy in heavily threaded (sometimes single-threaded) programs and stuff like that.
Ex: Encoding-/decoding media ; using winzip, 7zip and other similar programs.
Also, the speed and amount of ram is more important in workstations where its(the fast and huge amounts of memory that is) used for developing a product design, or dealing with weather, engineering and any other CAD related things, which need buttloads of computing power.

Well you could say memory speeds matter to overclockers or enthusiasts. e.g. people who have money to spend (thousands of dollars/euros/pounds) on their system.
January 18, 2012 2:18:49 PM

thanks very much for checking that out for me

That pretty much raps it all up

Many thanks
Bud
January 18, 2012 5:20:21 PM

No probs :) 

January 18, 2012 5:44:51 PM

on a much worse cpu (Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2ghz) and a radeon 4850, I ran Skyrim at about 25-35 fps. It's enjoyable, not butter smooth, but enjoyable.
January 18, 2012 8:34:35 PM

Know this is very nooby but i only joined last week
How do you select the best answer and how do you close a thread??

Thanks
Bud
January 19, 2012 3:21:41 AM

Block Bud said:
Know this is very nooby but i only joined last week
How do you select the best answer and how do you close a thread??

Thanks
Bud

In your thread choose the answer that you like the best , next to the name of the user, there's and option, that says:
select as best answer.

EDIT: Also let me know, if it worked for you(the memory config i mean:p ):) 
March 23, 2012 9:03:14 PM

kristjan_i said:
In your thread choose the answer that you like the best , next to the name of the user, there's and option, that says:
select as best answer.

EDIT: Also let me know, if it worked for you(the memory config i mean:p ):) 

Know this was a long time ago but
Ive got my new PC and everyting works great. I've been running Crysis Warhead and Assassins Creed 2 on Highest settings.

SideNote:
Is there anyway of getting an FPS counter in both of those games

Thanks
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 6:59:58 PM

Block Bud said:

Is there anyway of getting an FPS counter in both of those games

Thanks

http://www.fraps.com/

The free version is perfectly acceptable as a ingame FPS tool.
!