Sign in with
Your question

I feel I'm being ripped off, some advice please!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 14, 2012 7:45:02 PM

The computer repair place wants to charge 2 hrs labor $60/hr to re-install WIndows OS on my Computer. Can't I just buy Windows OS and install it my self, or is this something an "expert" needs to do for $120.00?

More about : feel ripped advice

a c 558 V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 8:06:47 PM

No, you can do it. If experiencing issues, ask in this forum. That's its reason.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 8:16:42 PM

Hi,

+1 alexoiu

be sure to

1- backup any data you want to keep,

2-If it's a laptop or branded pc, you should have recovery partition / disk to reinstall windows. (need brand and model to help you more with this)

Why do you need to reinstall windows ?
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 8:23:05 PM

Its totally possible to do it yourself, and you probably dont need to buy another copy if your system came with it. Odd the shop is charging per hr for a reinstall, I(and most other techs i know) charge a flat rate, most of an os reinstall requires little attention/work just takes a bit of time.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 8:37:27 PM

Right now you can purchase an upgrade version of Windows 8 for $39.99 directly from Microsoft. That is your cheapest option if you need to purchase an OS. Your computer likely already has a copy of Windows already associated with it. Some computers come with disks to re-install Windows (unlikely) but most manufacturers put the reinstallation files in a hidden part of your computer's hard drive. Check your PC manufacturers website for instructions on how to do this.
m
l
November 14, 2012 8:44:31 PM

They may be charging you to get all of your personal files/folders back after the re-install, which you could totally do yourself too, but it requires an external storage of some kind (usb flash drive, external hard drive) and a bit more time especially if your system is infected with viruses. Even then 120 for an OS install is rediculous, you should go back and ask how much they charge to plug the mouse and keyboard in for you, or empty the recycle bin, lmao.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 9:01:56 PM

MotherFerJones said:
Even then 120 for an OS install is ridiculous,.

$60/hr for a repair shop is actually a very reasonable price. I know many many pc repair guys/shops that charge 80-110 an hour. Just sayin :p .

*edit* However, agreed with all above comments. You can very easily re-install your OS. And you should not need to buy another one, just need to have your original key :) .
m
l
November 15, 2012 4:21:17 PM

At what stage are you with the repair process? If you can't get Windows to run download a bootable Linux distro (Ubuntu) and backup your personal file to an external hard drive. Then wipe the drive (in your PC) and install Windows clean. Make sure to NOT be connected to the net while installing Windows from scratch. Also make sure to keep the system partition clean from personal files. Generally speaking C=OS, D=Data. Like that you won't face trouble next time Windows decides it did not like some of your actions. Any more questions just ask. I do this on a regular basis and happy to help. If you don't know how to partition your drives from outside Windows or run how to image your Windows installation to be able to do restores in case something goes wrong, just ask, happy to help since I do this kind of thing very often for clients.
m
l
November 15, 2012 5:44:12 PM

Just get your computer back from the shop and go online, buy a serial key for windows 7 (or you can just get it from google by other means xD) then just go an download a torrent for windows 7 iso, mount the iso then use it and install windows os much cheaper xD...BUT OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY IT FOR 80 QUID INSTEAD, WHO WOULDN'T? xD
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 9:51:51 PM

oliverlausch said:
Just get your computer back from the shop and go online, buy a serial key for windows 7 (or you can just get it from google by other means xD) then just go an download a torrent for windows 7 iso, mount the iso then use it and install windows os much cheaper xD...BUT OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY IT FOR 80 QUID INSTEAD, WHO WOULDN'T? xD

I hope you are not suggesting he break any laws...
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:03:28 AM

'SUP MAN!!! do you have recovery disks?
or you a custom build?
FIRST - WHY do they need to reinstall Windows??? Are they not good enough to get you up and running? $60 an HOUR i would HOPE that they can hook you up. But I will tell you the TRUTH... they are just gonna say fugg it and just do the CHEAPEST thing they can do, and that is re install Windows (which takes about an hour) BUT there is more time involved in the process; so they are hitting you for 2 hours. BUT i am SURE that does NOT include installing ANYTHING else. This place is LAME in MY opinion.
There is enough info on this thread to get what YOU need done Cheaply and affordable - IF need be.
m
l
!