Sign in with
Your question

RAM Issues

Last response: in Memory
November 15, 2012 12:13:26 AM

Hello Everyone!

My name is Chris, and I'm pretty new to the forums. I'm a long time reader but I'm a new poster.

On to my problem that I'm having. I'm having the issue of I have installed 16 GB of RAM but windows is only letting me use 7.98GB of it. Here are my specs:
asrock 970 extreme3 - Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory - Team Xtreem Dark Series - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need any more information please say so, and I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the help in advance.

More about : ram issues

a b } Memory
November 15, 2012 1:33:59 PM

Hi, Try firstly clearing the CMOS. If still the same, Try reseating the RAMs. Check each RAM in each slot.
m
l
November 16, 2012 12:18:34 AM

Thanks for the reply Alex. After clearing CMOS then updating to the latest version of the BIOS the issue still isn't fixed. Actually after clearing CMOS and updating BIOS the usable memory has gone down to 7.96 GB. I also contacted Asrock tech support but they were not helpful. They suggested I reinstall the OS. Which I know isn't the problem because I've seen the problem on Windows 8 and Windows 7. I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate.
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
November 16, 2012 4:07:41 AM

Check in BIOS if there's a memory remapping option and if it's enabled.
Have you tested if all RAM modules and slots do work?
m
l
November 16, 2012 4:11:30 AM

I've checked my BIOS and I haven't been able to find a remapping option. I also ran a Memtest early this evening and all passes with no errors.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 16, 2012 5:09:08 AM

How much memory is reported when you have only the Team Xtream sticks installed?

See that the BIOS is configured for the voltage rating for that memory, 1.65V. This is important since 1.65V memory is very low quality.
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:15:52 AM

I have 4 sticks of Team Xtream installed with 4GB each.
m
l
!