GTS 250 Wont Stop Overheating!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Alright so I Don't have a case yet for my pc I Am building, but i have everything else, So While I Wait for my case to arrive i am benchmarking and playing some games on it with the motherboard sitting on my desk and things, the friggen GTS 250 Will just not stay cool! It crashes within 5 minutes of playing a game or benchmark and shuts off. I Have the internal Fan as to max in precision, 1 Large fan blowing in in the front where the dvis are and a smaller fan cooling it from the top. It idles at 52 C, and when i play a game it jumps to 105 C and eventually overheats and shuts down at 110 C. it will not stay below 100 C.

I Dont know how to get this thing to stop overheating. I Got it for $20 from a friend and its out of warranty so I Cant RMA it. Also should mention when it gets above 100 C i can see White/Black lines (almost like a slow refresh rate) going across my monitor! (Its not the monitor. its a samsung 20 inch)

Any Ideas?

As you've probably guessed, your $20 GTS 250 is broken. A working 250 open-bench wouldn't require any help to stay acceptably cool.

About the only user fixes possible (assuming the fan is working as you say):

- Did you or your buddy OC it? If so, unOC it.

- Depending on the card's design, the heat sink(s) may have separated from the chip(s) they were supposed to cool. Remove the shroud carefully and check.

First clean the cooler and change out the dried out stock compound then your temps will be a lot less. Second just keep the fan at a fixed speed rather than default. If you do all the above your temps shouldn't go past 80c tops but hang in the 60s and 70s during gaming ect.

G

it is at a fixed speed of 100%.

To clean out the cooler you remove the heatsync right, by unscrewing all the screws on the bottom?

G

Cleaned it out, Applied new Arctic Silver paste and it still is just as bad. I Even put a bag of ice on the heatsync for 5 minutes then left it on while gaming and it still overheated within 5 minutes of playing. I Underclocked the core/shader/memory 50mhz and the fan is always on max and still its like it doesn't phase it at all. Quite weird. I Went and ordered a GTS 450 to get rid of this crap. I Literally hate it. Still stuck with it for a week though. Any Ideas to keep it cool in any other ways??

Replace the stock cooler if all else. Sometimes cards like this pop up that no matter what one does to try to fix them using the stock cooler nothing ever works. New cooler such as the zalman vf1000 but it is expensive but it is one of the few that I own and use my self. There are others out there but it may very well be worth the shot. As for the 450 its junk and the 250 with a new cooler can be fixed. Is the cooler level with the core?

G

Yes it level with it.. I Cant afford a new cooler and as for the GTS 450 it has a slight performance increase and DX11 Support. It is better than the GTS 250 as far as i know, I Was going to call up EVGA And see if they would take it, but I Made the mistake of registering it on the EVGA Website saying i bought it from eBay so Since EVGA Doesnt (Usually) RMA Stuff bought second hand im screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.