[CPU]Need help, to replace or not

MadJackxD

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
Ok basically I bought a new computer like this

AMD FX-6100 BE
ASUS M5A87
AMD Radeon HD 6790

So yeah, I know i screwd up getting the 6100 (spare me the lecture), I wanted the PC not only to do Gaming but to make videos in sony vegas, but obviously I need to record ingame which consumes cpu / gpu usage a lot.

Now, its bad, my GPU according to GPUZ at max was 30% during SC2 at ultra settings and my CPU only one core reached like 90-100% while the otheres didnt even make it to 15%, and it gives FPS of 55 normally and around 25-35 while a major battle is going on, but when I put 3 of the graphic settings that says that use CPU off or low, bam i get 45-50 fps in major battles. I know SC2 its not a good benchmark but its the only game I have atm.

In HoN, I have decent fps with decent/high settings ( again not a great benchmark, but these are the games i play ) but when I start recording it drops down really low to like 20-25 fps

IF DONT WANNA READ THIS INTRO JUST READ FROM HERE.

So my processor sucks I know that, and that intel i5 could be better, but theres no way I can change my mobo and processor altoguether, so I was looking and found reviews showing the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T being much better for gaming and having also 6 cores (which should be as fast as the fx6100 at rendering, i guess)

So I want to know if its worth it for me to get rid of my 6100 and get a X6 1100T. Is the performance diference going to be that much? since the most ive seen my GPU load go its around 60% Would it make it so that i can FRAPs SC2, HoN and prolly SWTOR (Actually in SWTOR i can record PvE at 40fps no problem, but WZ as same as others it lags even with no recording) at around 40 FPS. Those are the only games im interested in. Maybe WoW.

To note:
An X6 1100T new its around $250 (heavy taxes for pc parts imports in my country so price is inflated)
the FX6100 costed me about $190
And I found a X6 1090T for $140 (that i could oc and get a cooler for it)

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The difference in performance isn't going to be all that much, at least not enough to warrant spending another $140+ I wouldn't have thought.

You might even find better results adding a second 6790 in crossfire and setting the game settings to use as little CPU as possible and pile all the load onto the GPU.

----

Although I haven't used GPU-Z in a while, I don't remember being able to view what % of my Graphics cards total power was being used....? Is this a new feature?

MadJackxD

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

If I were to OC it, how do I achieve this ? then can my MB support that kind of OC? what is the best/cheap cooller i should get for it?

Another thing ive been realizing. My processor only fully loads 80%-100% on one core, randomly, and then the others dont pass the 30% load mark, not only while gaming but while rendering a video, i had core temp open.

Also I want to know, since it says it goes to up to 3.9ghz "when needed" or turbo or w/e the condition is, i guess i can permanently set it to 3.9ghz with the stock cooler ?

thx for the answers and patiente

BTW i didt installed the Win7 hot fixes for bulldozer processors, still no improve

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I just recently installed a FX-6100 in a friends rig and was very impressed by its performance. It overclocks extremely well and seemed to run just fine. It might be the software your recording with. I was able to overclock the FX-6100 to 3.8GHz with stock volts and on a terrible stock cooler, if you have a decent cooler 4.2GHz is very reachable.

MadJackxD

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Then please tell me how did you overclocked it, because in a zero on the left when it comes to overclocking