I'm planning to upgrade my rig, as stated in title, and I think I might need help in doing so as not to end being frustrated with bad decisions in purchasing.
Here's my current setup:
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge [stock cooler]
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x1Gb DDR3
Gfx Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1gb
HDD: Wester Digital 320Gb + 500 Gb Caviar Blue
ODD: Samsung DVD RW
PSU: Enermax 625w 80+ (modular)
OS: Windows 7 32-bit
and things I plan to Upgrade and upgrade to:
RAM: add another 4GB
Gfx Card : Sapphire 6850 1gb
CPU Cooler: ???
My reasons: (1)I'm adding another 4gb since I'll also be moving to a 64bit Win7 and I'll be slightly doing some video and photo editing, but the rig will most probably be for gaming. (2)Im playing on a 20inch monitor, and I don't plan to upgrade that in a year or so, so i went for the 6850. (3) My first SSD. (4) I'm not sure, but I'm thinking my CPU is hot sometimes, adding to the fact that I live in a tropical country and the temperature is really hot at times.
Questions: (1) Are these upgrades good enough? If not, could you suggest better ones, or I really don't need to?
(2) Do I also need to change my PSU to be able to meet the watt requirements? My PSU is a year old.
1. A 5770 to 6850 is not much of an upgrade at all. I would go for a 6870 at least.
2. Make sure the ram you get has exactly the same specs as the original ram.
3. Your PSU will be fine with the new equipment, no need to upgrade that.
4. CPU Cooler. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
5. SSD. A 120 GB SSD for booting and holding your programs and OS would really make your system feel responsive.