ldh1109

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I wanna build a pc but im on a tight budget
is it possible to use my laptop's hard drive on my new pc?
i have windows 7 on my laptop so if was able to connect my laptop's hard drive to my new pc would it boot up windows 7 or would i have to buy a windows 7 disc

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
To move back and forth you would have to buy another license for both practical and ethical reasons.

To Move permanently I would try this, no guarantees though:
1) Borrow an windows 7 retail disk, and install it on your laptop using the key on the sticker on the laptop.
2) Move the laptop hdd over to the desktop and go through windows activation (the online prob won't work, you'll have to call it should still be all automated though) If the automated doesn't work, you'll be connected to a person. Explain to them that you are no longer using your laptop (or that it is inoperable) and are building a computer around your HDD (which should constitute "significant hardware" or whatever the term is in the EULA.)

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
From my experience you can just install the 2.5" laptop drive in the new rig, boot into safe mode, install the necessary drivers, reboot, and you'll be perfectly fine.

What might be even easier would be installing the drivers before moving the HDD so all your new hardware is recognized when you boot in your rig, or if that's too much of a hassle then just worry bout your network adapter :D

TRENDING THREADS