Sign in with
Your question

Hello can I get some help with my system?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2011 4:24:33 AM

Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz
ASUS P6X58D-E
G. Skill DDR3 Tri-Channel @ 6144MBytes (according to CPU-Z)
Corsair AX 850
XFX ATI HD 5870 - RV870 - 1024 MBytes
OCZ agility 3 120 SSD
1TB HDD
AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what i should upgrade i have about 1.5k to spend. thanks.

More about : system

October 17, 2011 4:41:05 AM

is this your old rig, if it is than i will recommend you stick with it.
its a pretty powerful rig, if your games are slowing down, just add a 5870 if its available.
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2011 5:21:03 AM

Your rig is really good as is. If you really wanted to upgrade, I'd recommend a RAM increase (don't max it out though - 24GB RAM on an X58 system will cost you, plus you also have to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate on top of that), maybe a new cooler, and it's not required but upgrading the video card from a 5870 to a 6870. That would be my suggestion.
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 6:35:58 AM

An alternative is to get a good cpu cooler and over clock the 930. My 920 on a similar mb (delux version) has been running at 4ghz with no problems at all. 6 gig ram is sufficient. You don't say what programs you are using so just telling you to add ram may not give any bang for your buck. Xfire another 5870 for more graphics power. You can find then at good prices as they are about phased out. Check ebay to get an idea of what one would sell for. If you are set on spending on a new rig, look at Tom's system building articles from recent months. The $2000 top system falls into your price range if you drop out 1 video card or make different choices for storage.
m
l
October 17, 2011 8:56:28 AM

@ac23chan - Do you experience any slow performance with your rig? If not, consider waiting for the HD 7970.
m
l
a c 93 B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2011 9:51:48 PM

Dogsnake said:
An alternative is to get a good cpu cooler and over clock the 930. My 920 on a similar mb (delux version) has been running at 4ghz with no problems at all. 6 gig ram is sufficient. You don't say what programs you are using so just telling you to add ram may not give any bang for your buck. Xfire another 5870 for more graphics power. You can find then at good prices as they are about phased out. Check ebay to get an idea of what one would sell for. If you are set on spending on a new rig, look at Tom's system building articles from recent months. The $2000 top system falls into your price range if you drop out 1 video card or make different choices for storage.

I'd second this recommendation. The bad thing is that the 5800 series is all but DOA (I tried to get a second 5830 a few months ago with no luck whatsoever). I'd wait for the new cards before making a decision to upgrade, but for now all you'd really need to get is a new cooler - I'd suggest going with a Corsair H100, if that doesn't suit you then I'd recommend going with a dual heat sink/fan configuration like the Thermalright Silver Arrow or the Noctua D14.
m
l
October 18, 2011 6:05:28 AM

If you have room in the case the Noctua is one of the top 2-4 heat sinks available. :)  I use one so I am a bit biased. There are some very good ones out there for you to choose from.
m
l
!