Sign in with
Your question

Computer no longer be able to boot efi version of DVD drive

Last response: in Motherboards
November 15, 2012 9:26:55 AM

The machine with biostar H61MGV mobo has a problem.and now i can never boot the UEFI dvd option.At first,the option was there,but after installing windwos 7.the option was changed to the Windows Boot Manager and remains as what it is even after formatting,pulling hard drive out,and clering bios.Now i want to install windows 8,I deleted all partitions,but i cannot boot a efi dvd ,so what should I do?Help! :( 
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 15, 2012 1:18:08 PM

Hi, If tapping F8 at restart, what boot options do you get?
November 16, 2012 2:02:42 AM

I think it is F9.at first there is these
[SATA]Hard Drive
[Sata] DVD Drive
[EFI] DVD Drive.
But after that
The last one becomes "Windows Boot Manager" instead.
Related resources
November 17, 2012 12:19:51 AM

Also I am using 8 GB of DDR3 ram(brand is RCMemory)and i3 2120
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 4:03:29 AM

Still not understanding completely. If you enter BIOS, Boot options, you can't set the EFI DVD as the primary boot device? It might change in WBM when insalling Windows in EFI mode, but the option should always be there and you should be able to change it again, in order to boot from your DVD.
November 17, 2012 10:14:17 PM

The option is COMPLETELY gone.it don't appear in the boot priority tab,don't appear in the boot override tab,nor the F9 option.everything is changed to windows boot manager.when DVD drive and hard drive is removed,the boot option have only one option which is windows boot manager,and clicking this lead back to the bios again.i can take some pics if you need.
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 17, 2012 10:23:32 PM

I would try this: unplug the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for few minutes. Then enter BIOS and check the boot options.
November 18, 2012 7:04:19 AM

I did that already.i left it overnight and it won't work.btw,i also adjusted the clear CMOS pin to the clear CMOS option during that.i also did again for an hour or so with out changing the pin.but,the option was still unchanged.i think I need to completely clear the UEFI rom thing somehow pherhaps?
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 7:20:35 AM

Is there a new BIOS version available for updating the BIOS?
November 18, 2012 8:13:15 AM

Nope,it's latest version of bios.i updated it twice,but its not the cause as before this update,the problem is already there.
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 18, 2012 8:37:11 AM

In BIOS, Boot Menu

UEFI Boot
This option enables/disables boot from the UEFI Devices.
Options: Disabled (Default) / Enabled

Set it to Enabled.
November 18, 2012 9:48:07 PM

alexoiu said:
In BIOS, Boot Menu

UEFI Boot
This option enables/disables boot from the UEFI Devices.
Options: Disabled (Default) / Enabled

Set it to Enabled.

It is enabled,or I will not have asked this question in the first place.This thing is really weird...
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 19, 2012 5:59:58 AM

It is. Well, no other ideas. Try contacting Biostar for support.
November 19, 2012 8:21:33 AM

alexoiu said:
It is. Well, no other ideas. Try contacting Biostar for support.

I did,but they never reply back. :(  i will get a ssd instead as a boot drive.Is a intel 330 SSD OK?i need to get a cheapish reliable one.best if below 100 $.also I will just get a low capacity like 60 GB or so just to store windows 8 in it.also I need the drive to live above 2 years or so...

I really feel like [:russk1:5]ing biostar right now.[:russk1:9]
a c 554 V Motherboard
November 19, 2012 9:13:47 AM

And you hope that you'll get other boot options? If starting with only DVD drive connected, do you get different boot options?
November 20, 2012 3:27:01 AM

alexoiu said:
And you hope that you'll get other boot options? If starting with only DVD drive connected, do you get different boot options?

Actually I want the ssd so I can boot with the ssd,so there is no need for UEFI:D VD .i will just install with sata:D VD onto the ssd.also to your second question,nope.i only get the sata version.the UEFI version seems to have totally disappeared.and with the hard drive and/or DVD drive disconnected,the windows boot manager is still there.when I boot up with nothing attached,it won't write Sth like no bootable medium found sort of a thing.instead it directly enters the UEFI setup thingy.before this problem occurred the boot actually writes the no bootable medium and insert a boot device or Sth like that.
!