Your question

Can i upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2012 2:06:12 AM

I am fairly novice to computer tech and i have a few questions that I would like answered asap... and tyvm :) 
I am sorry if the question is in the wrong section as well, but i have heard that this forum is optimal for these questions.
My current computer is a 5 year old hp entertainment computer.
These are all the specifications:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

Except i already upgraded to:
Graphics card: Nvidia Galaxy GeForce 8400 GS
PSU: Tiger ATX 12V 450 Watt power supply.

This computer currently does not meet my needs, but i want to wait a while before getting a new computer so i wish to upgrade both the graphics card and the processor.
Question is: What is the best graphics card and processor i can upgrade to without changing anything else?

I mostly want to use it for gaming atm. If any more information is needed, please inform me.
And thanks again!!!

More about : upgrade

January 17, 2012 2:18:37 AM

I also understand that i might be better off just making a custom built pc, especially since i have an OEM comp, though while i wait a few months for that, i wish to upgrade this pc as much as possible.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 2:49:43 AM

While you seek to upgrade only processor & graphics card, I would propose to upgrade the graphics card & PSU. Both items are transferable to any new built you will make in the future & the right graphics card ( not limited by your current PSU ) will offer vast improvement in your gaming...

If you are keen to upgrade your PSU, then let us know \\your monitor resolution. Ex: 1366x768? 1920x1080? This will determine the best type of graphics card for your gaming.

But if you do not wish to upgrade the PSU, the best graphics card you can get is the AMD HD6670 or 5670 depending on your budget. These are the most powerful graphics cards that do not require a PSU upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 17, 2012 3:03:41 AM

To answer your question, i am reluctant, although can upgrade my PSU. (If you think i should please tell me which one is best in my situation). As for my moniter resolution, I have 1680x1050.
Also about the graphics card- would it be better for me to just get the GTX 550 TI?

And are you talking about the ddr5 or ddr3 version of the 6670?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 17, 2012 5:54:43 AM

If you have a 1650x1050 resolution, then a 6670 is not enough to play games at decent settings. So your way to go is really a more powerful graphics card.

A GTX550 TI is fine but if you plan to upgrade monitor in a few years to a 1920x1080, you might as well buy at least an AMD HD6850 which is best bang for buck at the $150 price range.

For the PSU, you would need a branded 500W which you could always use when you build a new computer. Note that it is always cheaper & more exciting to build your own rather than buy ready made PC's.

Corsair and Seasonic are the brands I always go for. THere are many product models/type you can choose from depending on your budget.
m
l
January 17, 2012 10:01:44 AM

Thank you, i decided to go with your advice.
I do still have a question about the psu. When i bought a new upgrade for my psu, the first one was too big to fit inside of my computer, so i had to get a smaller one that can actually fit. Is there anyway if i know that corsair 600 watt would fit into my tower?
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:34:13 PM

And what manufacturer is best for the Radeon HD 6850?
I heard the sapphire was good but i dont know what to go with.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 75 U Graphics card
January 18, 2012 6:05:06 AM

dmatatov95 said:
Thank you, i decided to go with your advice.
I do still have a question about the psu. When i bought a new upgrade for my psu, the first one was too big to fit inside of my computer, so i had to get a smaller one that can actually fit. Is there anyway if i know that corsair 600 watt would fit into my tower?

Since you have an entertainment PC, your PC Case is probably small. Can you share the brand & model or better yet, some pictures showing the inside so we can gauge whether it will fit a new standard size PSU or Graphics card.

dmatatov95 said:
And what manufacturer is best for the Radeon HD 6850?
I heard the sapphire was good but i dont know what to go with.

Yes, Sapphire is good & relatively cheaper. But its better to browse through newegg or other online stores to see which model fits your taste (in terms of look & cooling performance) & budget. If you can post some of your shortlisted brands & models, we can advise you further.
m
l