Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Pump prices double since Obama took office.

Last response: in News & Leisure
Share
April 1, 2011 12:49:15 PM

America already has the cheapest gas in the word, the only reason its been so cheap is our Government subsidizes it so the oil companies can make huge amounts of profits not only at the pump but also from our taxes.

April 1, 2011 12:56:39 PM

Are you equating the past two years of Obama's failed policies, draconian legislation, circumvention of Due Process, disregard for the Constitution, and completed disdain for American sovereignty to that of the the obviously disturbed and mentally imbalanced person who shat and smeared his fecal matter on the door of his girlfriend and then set it on fire?

If so, spot on...the American people are the girlfriend and children inside the apartment, the Constitution is the fecal matter smeared door, and the fire is Obama's management style.


Quote:
America already has the cheapest gas in the word, the only reason its been so cheap is our Government subsidizes it so the oil companies can make huge amounts of profits not only at the pump but also from our taxes.
Not really, but point taken. The subsidies given to oil companies are for doing what they are in business to do, drill for oil, and does not effect the price at the pump. The primary reason why America pays less than other countries at the pump boils down to simple supply and demand. America consumes over 20% of the world's oil production and when you use that much oil you get it at a cheaper rate.
April 1, 2011 1:11:36 PM

Ok ... I'm an Australian.

From here it looks a bit different.

1. You have a president who isn't trigger happy ... thats a distinct change.

2. His "State of the Nation" address clearly outlines measures to reign in your debt ... they seem fine to me, though most of you don't find them palatable ... bad luck.

3. He seems to have had a positive impact on reducing extremist responses by trying a bit more diplomacy in the world arena ... it stark contrast to the last three or 4 presidents you have had.

4. His wife is better looking.

What do you people actally want?

Jeesh ... look at our lame excuse for a Prime Minister ... she is outright embarrasing.
We put a childless unmarried social climbing lawyer into the top job who masqueraded as a unionist while espousing conservative policy since taking office.

Our labour (democrat / socialist) party is being demolished by her incompetence as we speak.

Since taking office 4 states have reverted to liberal (conservative / repaublican) control.

She has even started a war against the Greens Party yesterday ... and we need their vote for the balance of power.

Bring back Kevin Rudd I say, before my beloved Labour Party is decimated.

Poor Bob Hawke must have popped out an eye by now ...
April 1, 2011 1:38:34 PM

Reynod said:
Ok ... I'm an Australian.

From here it looks a bit different.

1. You have a president who isn't trigger happy ... thats a distinct change.

2. His "State of the Nation" address clearly outlines measures to reign in your debt ... they seem fine to me, though most of you don't find them palatable ... bad luck.

3. He seems to have had a positive impact on reducing extremist responses by trying a bit more diplomacy in the world arena ... it stark contrast to the last three or 4 presidents you have had.

4. His wife is better looking.

What do you people actally want?

Jeesh ... look at our lame excuse for a Prime Minister ... she is outright embarrasing.
We put a childless unmarried social climbing lawyer into the top job who masqueraded as a unionist while espousing conservative policy since taking office.

Our labour (democrat / socialist) party is being demolished by her incompetence as we speak.

Since taking office 4 states have reverted to liberal (conservative / repaublican) control.

She has even started a war against the Greens Party yesterday ... and we need their vote for the balance of power.

Bring back Kevin Rudd I say, before my beloved Labour Party is decimated.

Poor Bob Hawke must have popped out an eye by now ...



1. Libya?

2. He and his lapdogs in congress have added 4.5 Trillion to our national debt in just 2 years. His proposed "cuts" are a drop in the bucket.

3. There is no real way to measure this. In Obama's reality the world is governed by the aggressive use of words.

4. She is bow legged and has man arms.

Obama does not like this country. The stance of the USA has always been that there is not an unequal distribution of wealth but an unequal distribution of Freedom and Capitalism. Obama does not believe in American exceptionalism. He believes America is the problem in the world, not the solution. He sees our U.S. Constitution as a list of "negative rights" and sees it as a hinderance to what he wants to do.

He forbids US oil companies from exploiting the Gulf of Mexico but allows Brazil, Korea, China, Japan, Cuba, among others to do just that. He tells Brazil that we will be their biggest oil buying customer and the next day says that he wants to reduce foreign oil imports by 20% over the next ten years.

His healthcare plan was ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge yet he is going forward with implementing it anyway.

Need I go on?
April 1, 2011 1:56:27 PM

Reynod how much do you pay for gas? in the UK they pay about 10$ a gallon (or 6 pounds of something or other).
April 1, 2011 4:17:27 PM

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 25% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as president. Forty-two percent (42%) Strongly Disapprove, giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -17.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics...
April 1, 2011 4:38:38 PM

Somehow I don't think the rising petrol prices are totally Obama's blame, considering the 'issue' in the middle east is near 100 years old and not even originally started by US interference.

The rising level of debt in the world is down to the federal reserve, not the US government (though they haven't stopped the federal reserve)
April 1, 2011 4:43:45 PM

I have an idea for change. Lets pull out of Iraq by 2012 and let Iran have control of two thirds of the world's known oil reserves there and in the meantime start a war in Libya but not call it a war.

In other news Australia takes the diplomatic route to solving the pesky problems in the middle east with a new ad campaign disguised as their country's erection problems. All with what little leverage the country has to begin with.

In the cheesy ad, she uses her screen husband's penis for a leg up to reach a biscuit from a high shelf while a voiceover says: "Take the right step towards erection problems."

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Woman_kicked_o...
April 1, 2011 4:44:02 PM

No, he's not the cause of the rising prices. However, he isn't taking any action to bring the prices down either. He could drop the price overnight by just pronouncing he is un-shackling the US oil industry. It's the instability in the mideast and speculation that is driving the price.
April 1, 2011 4:45:07 PM

Believe me. Obama will pay at the November 2012 polls. But of course everyone knows it's Ggeorge Bush's fault.
April 1, 2011 4:50:37 PM

I think Obama will get re-elected simply by the fact that the republicans are in control of the house and congress. When we compare the Democratic house vs the republican house the dems got way way more done. When the harsh realization that you cant solve the budget and make everyone happy, they will fall back onto conservative talking points like gay marriage and terrorism, the masses will be scrambling back into obamas hands.
April 1, 2011 4:52:12 PM

If that ^ happens the republic is over. It may already be over.........
April 1, 2011 4:57:01 PM

+1 gamer. Obama's one term is painfully, and I stress having an eye taken, coming to a dispicable end.
April 1, 2011 5:10:22 PM

Folks, the same doubling occurred just a few years ago (actually more than doubled) under President Bush. So, do all of your comments apply to him as well? Does that make President Clinton a hero for gas prices during his terms?

Just exactly what does the President do that directly affects gas prices? Some of you might want to brush up on how a global economy works and the basis of supply and demand, at a minimum.

Try this...take a deep breath....think....take some time to learn something....be objective......then type. These rants are bizarre and terribly uninformed/not well founded, at best.
April 1, 2011 5:15:28 PM

That's all fine, but doesn't address the fact Obama doesn't have clue as to what he doing regarding his role as president of the United States. Gas prices doubling are the direct result of Obama's weak forteign policy and the fact that He created the idea in the minds of our enemys we are weak. Obama weakens our nation. Even in the eyes of great americans like Farakan the annointed one FAILZ!.
April 1, 2011 5:15:52 PM

Which specific rant are you referring to COLGeek? Certainly not the one I made stating that Obama is NOT the cause of rising prices but is also doing nothing to bring them down?

The president has a great deal of power to affect prices. He can cause the price to change by merely making a great or poor speech on the subject. Look what happened to GM stock when he declared he was nationalizing it. The bully pulpit is quite powerful.

Also, remember that oil is traded on the world market in dollars only. The value of the dollar has been going down for some time which also affects how much oil the dollar can buy.
April 1, 2011 5:31:23 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Which specific rant are you referring to COLGeek? Certainly not the one I made stating that Obama is NOT the cause of rising prices but is also doing nothing to bring them down?

The president has a great deal of power to affect prices. He can cause the price to change by merely making a great or poor speech on the subject. Look what happened to GM stock when he declared he was nationalizing it. The bully pulpit is quite powerful.

Also, remember that oil is traded on the world market in dollars only. The value of the dollar has been going down for some time which also affects how much oil the dollar can buy.

Nope, not yours. I agree that the leader of the most powerful Nation in the World can indirectly affect fuel/oil prices, but other factors (like increasing demand in China and India) have a more direct and $$$ significant impact.

While I disagreed with bailing out the auto industry, that plan was formed under the previous Administration and executed under the current one. One could argue it helped stave off a more significant downfall. To be honest, I am still undecided on this one.

Also, a weakened dollar certainly does affect oil prices (and everything else from a global trade perspective), but once again there is more to why this is the case than anything the President does or doesn't do or say.
April 1, 2011 5:46:56 PM

The it's Bush's fault puke won't wash. The guy has been parading around with his far left ideas for years now. Even the loonies will defect and not support Obama's rubbish elitist ideals.
April 1, 2011 6:00:22 PM

badge said:
The it's Bush's fault puke won't wash. The guy has been parading around with his far left ideas for years now. Even the loonies will defect and not support Obama's rubbish elitist ideals.

So, is this the logic then? Both President Obama and President Bush (I guess we could go back to the 70s and the first oil crisis as well) are bad presidents for the same reasons as it relates to fuel prices. Is that what you are saying? Same thing happened under each. In my mind, on this issue, there is no difference between the 2 of them. Note, I said on this issue.

If this logic is accurate, you must have really liked the good ol' days under President Clinton when gas prices were hovering at a buck.

Do you see what I am saying? If not, then we agree to disagree on this point.

April 1, 2011 6:05:29 PM

^^^ Damn every single one of them. Damn every person that had anything to do, whether through action or inaction, with making us so energy dependent on people that hate us and want to destroy us. How's that for balance?
April 1, 2011 6:14:43 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
^^^ Damn every single one of them. Damn every person that had anything to do, whether through action or inaction, with making us so energy dependent on people that hate us and want to destroy us. How's that for balance?

You know, I actually agree with you here. There is no reason for the US to be so dependent on the resources of nations (that do not like us).

You know, we can make diesel from darn near any plant source (animal fat as well). Corn isn't the only thing that can be used to make ethanol (and therefor drives up food prices). Heck, Brazil came to the US to help them build their ethanol program that is the largest in the world and they use a type of grass for the source.

We have ten of millions of acres of leased lands available NOW for use by oil/gas companies within the US and we don't use them, but they do complain that we won't let them have more....seems odd doesn't it. We can make synthetic fuel from coal, like the Germans did during WWII. "Clean" coal is possible and affordable.

Given all of this, I am with you. We can do more as a Nation and we should. We should use ALL of OUR resources first before we send one more dime to anyone else. Wind, solar, hydro, nuclear, bio-fuels, hydrocarbons, etc all have a place and we have plenty if we will just wean ourselves from relatively cheap oil.
April 1, 2011 6:17:56 PM

Obama has made the U.S. weak with OPEC and weak in the eyes of our enemys as I stated earlier. Bush was president for eight years and the price did not double in those eight years. Where do you compare Bush policy to the rubbish Obama has hanging in the wind? Obama's weak foreign policy is the direct cause for pump prices doubling. As I said, It will cost him a lot of votes in 2012. Obama has an acute case of lacking any sense of rectitude and it will show in the upcoming election.

Gas prices were at $1.79 when Obama took office. The man has no humility.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/ma...
April 1, 2011 6:23:42 PM

badge said:
Obama has made the U.S. weak with OPEC and weak in the eyes of our enemys as I stated earlier. Bush was president for eight years and the price did not double in those eight years. Where do you compare Bush policy to the rubbish Obama has hanging in the wind? Obama's weak foreign policy is the direct cause for pump prices doubling. As I said, It will cost him a lot votes in 2012. Obama an acute case of lacking and sense of rectitude and it will show in the upcoming election.

Gas prices were at $1.79 when Obama took office. The man has no humility.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/ma...

Dude, were you driving the summer of 2008? Gas was over $4/gal. When President Bush was inaugurated fuel prices hovered around $1.40 (see link below).

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publicati...

April 1, 2011 6:25:13 PM

You are imaging things. Obama is not your president.
April 1, 2011 6:27:25 PM

Lets look at the facts. Pump prices have doubled since Obama took office. The cause is Obama's weak foreign policy and the fact He is seen as weak in the eyes of the world. Prices will double again before He figures out He's hurting Americans with his rubbish elitist ideals. DUH.
April 1, 2011 6:29:03 PM

I'm all for weening ourselves off of oil as an energy source for our vehicles. However, you can't discount ALL the benefits/products that we get from petroleum. Virtually everything you touch in our modern world comes from oil. There is NO replacement (right now).

Personally I would love to have one of those Tesla Motors roadsters, simply bad ass. BUT, (there is always a but) battery powered cars need electricity to run. If we are not producing any more electricity via coal, nuclear, hydro, etc. and you suddenly have 10s of millions of people "plugging in" their cars every day.......that will collapse the grid and make energy prices "necessarily sky rocket" as Obama has already said. That is my biggest problem with battery powered vehicles.
April 1, 2011 6:31:16 PM

Jeez.. Enough whining already
Oil prices have risen because China are drinking more and more black stuff.
Oh and the Arab oil producing nations are rationing oil supplies, even after being approached by various Western Nations, to artifically keep the oil barrel price high.
Americans have it so easy we're paying nearly $11 per gallon here in the UK.
Stop bleeting on as though your the only people in the bloody world that are suffering. :fou: 
April 1, 2011 6:31:59 PM

badge said:
You imaging things. Obama is not your president.

Then who is? What is your point now?

It is all about facts, not the rhetoric. Often, the facts are the first things lost in all of the noise (in the press) and incivility (also in the press and in American politics). What say you to this?
April 1, 2011 6:34:39 PM

rededed1976 said:
Jeez.. Enough whining already
Oil prices have risen because China are drinking more and more black stuff.
Oh and the Arab oil producing nations are rationing oil supplies, even after being approached by various Western Nations, to artifically keep the oil barrel price high.
Americans have it so easy we're paying nearly $11 per gallon here in the UK.
Stop bleeting on as though your the only people in the bloody world that are suffering. :fou: 

Agreed. I have been many places throughout the world (and bought fuel). With the exception of the "oil producing" countries, the US has it much better than the rest of the world, in large part, when it comes to fuel prices.
April 1, 2011 6:34:39 PM

rededed1976 said:
Jeez.. Enough whining already
Oil prices have risen because China are drinking more and more black stuff.
Oh and the Arab oil producing nations are rationing oil supplies, even after being approached by various Western Nations, to artifically keep the oil barrel price high.
Americans have it so easy we're paying nearly $11 per gallon here in the UK.
Stop bleeting on as though your the only people in the bloody world that are suffering. :fou: 



Isn't that because petrol is taxed so heavily? That can't be your market price!

Also, just because the rest of the world is getting screwed doesn't mean the US should be screwed too. Thats back asswards.
April 1, 2011 6:35:30 PM

Oil prices have risen as a direct result of Obama's weak foreign policy. His elitist ideals have been spawned on the world and have resulted in FAIL with no bottom in sight. Well, 2012 is in sight thank Rev. Wright.
April 1, 2011 6:37:03 PM

Obama is not my president. Through your naivity you will see a lot of people are without one to trust.
April 1, 2011 6:40:11 PM

badge said:
Lets look at the facts. Pump prices have doubled since Obama took office. The cause is Obama's weak foreign policy and the fact He is seen as weak in the eyes of the world. Prices will double again before He figures out He's hurting Americans with his rubbish elitist ideals. DUH.


President Obama : Was $1.79, now $3.54, doubled
President Bush: Was $1.40, got to $4.05, nearly tripled
President Clinton: Was around $1.00, was $1.40 when he left

Also, what specifically do you mean by "his rubbish elitist ideals". Facts, not opinion, man. Facts.
April 1, 2011 6:41:48 PM

Read "Dreams From My Father" Col. That will explain it better than badge can (probably). :) 

Also read "The Roots of Obama's Rage" by Dinesh d'Souza. That explains it even better.
April 1, 2011 6:42:49 PM

LOL. rubbish elitist ideals defines the current administration. You are living in a mud hut with the root people of the Amazon?
April 1, 2011 6:42:55 PM

badge said:
And I wanted to mention this.

My comment: A nation's gas prices doubled under a president in his first two years and bizarre fecal rampages? What kind of change are these important men of the times bringing to the world?


Well lets not forget that our nation has triple the debt it ever had in our history, that was BUSH, not Obama.
April 1, 2011 6:46:21 PM

Thanks for the vote of confdence gamer. :)  You know I never discuss religion and politics. I am far to diplomatic by nature to give ahole presidents credit when they have accompolished absolutely nothing in more than two years in office. Elitist rubbish bastard administration.
April 1, 2011 6:47:38 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Read "Dreams From My Father" Col. That will explain it better than badge can (probably). :) 

I have. I have also read tons o' stuff on/by Presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush (again). If you take a step back from all of this and look at the person and what they say and do, they are (were) all good men with the best interests of America in mind.

Objectivity is hard to have when subjectivity is so pervasive. I have opinions, too, and I use them when I vote.
April 1, 2011 6:49:23 PM

Yeah, by 2012 the pesky debt problem Obama and his elitist administration have created should reach...? What comes after trillions? The man has no limit to disgrace. He redefines the word.
April 1, 2011 6:50:11 PM

Badge, I can see that this discussion is over. Have a nice day.
April 1, 2011 6:51:57 PM

COLGeek said:
I have. I have also read tons o' stuff on/by Presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush (again). If you take a step back from all of this and look at the person and what they say and do, they are (were) all good men with the best interests of America in mind.

Objectivity is hard to have when subjectivity is so pervasive. I have opinions, too, and I use them when I vote.



I want to believe that Col. I truly do. But I honestly don't think Obama has the best interest of America and Americans at heart. He wants to be President of the world, and if America gets a little hurt in the process, so be it (in his mind). Hence all the apology tours and the handouts. (i.e. the 2 billion given to Brazil to jump start their oil production)
April 1, 2011 7:01:50 PM

The elitist rubbish administration's solution to the pesky national debt problem. Obama suppotters are calling his charm as being directly responsible for what they are hailing, "the greatest debt reduction mechanism and conservation of government ink ever conceived".



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
April 1, 2011 7:05:35 PM

badge said:
Thanks for the vote of confdence gamer. :)  You know I never discuss religion and politics. I am far to diplomatic by nature to give ahole presidents credit when they have accompolished absolutely nothing in more than two years in office. Elitist rubbish bastard administration.

OK Im not saying Obama is a great president BUT. If you take him out of this equation and tell me GWB was even close to being a good president you are crazy. And if Obama is not your president than neither was GWB because lets not forget he lost his first election. Wile Im not trying to say he lost Florida he did loose the popular vote. That means that at the time he was first elected more people voted for Gore than him. And buy bush being a blubbering idiot half the time the USA's international image was damaged almost beyond repair. And wile a will agree that Sadam was a bad person and should not have been left in power, the way GWB went about going into Iraq was the wrong way. And with that I will say fool me once shame on me, fool me twice.......well you dont foll me twice lol
April 1, 2011 7:13:21 PM

We dont' elect presidents by popular vote, we have an electoral college for that. The popular vote means nothing.

And if you are on the Bush lied, people died band wagon for the way he went to war in Iraq then all of these people lied to us as well.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

You should also search youtube for "Democrats on WMDs" and watch that. I would past the link but youtube is blocked at work. :( 
April 1, 2011 8:03:40 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
We dont' elect presidents by popular vote, we have an electoral college for that. The popular vote means nothing.

And if you are on the Bush lied, people died band wagon for the way he went to war in Iraq then all of these people lied to us as well.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

You should also search youtube for "Democrats on WMDs" and watch that. I would past the link but youtube is blocked at work. :( 

I understand the electoral college and I know pop vote doesn't count. But just because we have a system in place does not mean its a good one. I know this system works 99.99% of the time were the electoral votes match the pop vote, but I have yet to see a good argument as to why we cant just do away with that whole system and use the popular vote. One example as to why that would be a good idea. When Clinton was running I would have voted for him, I didnt vote because why bother I knew he would win CA the state I live in and he did. When bush was running I would have prob voted for nobody because I didnt like gore as well. BUT if say I did want to vote for gore my vote would have meant nothing as he did win CA so one more vote for him in my state would not have mattered. So if we were to start using the popular vote THEN you could say every vote counts. Until then every vote only counts SOMETIMES. Im not saying bush lied about WMD or anything like that. BUT he could have taken more time and not rushed things so much instead he made America look like a bunch of trigger happy cowboys. Bush was a horable president anybody who cant see that is blind. I dont think you should compare one to the other so you cant try to make Obama look better by saying well he is bad but look at the last guy, no that does not work. So Obama is not doing a good job but I will say the guy before him $hit the bed way worse. Both parties point fingers, a friend of mine from Ireland points out that a lot of our problems are coming from the fact that we only have 2 viable parties and that sort of makes sense. Most of the time there is not a clear "best choice" so you end up picking the lesser of the two evils. And untill we have more that 2 viable canidates that will be the case mor often than not.
April 1, 2011 8:09:46 PM

If we didn't have the electoral college then all presidents would be elected by "the coasts", i.e. the population centers. Fly over country would literally have NO voice in the election. So it is a good system put in place for a very specific reason.

The ONLY thing I agree with Bush on was waging the war on terror. Pretty much everything else he did was shite IMO.
April 1, 2011 8:19:28 PM

Sounds like Badge is just a bitter Republican. Everything he is stating is opinion and no fact. He is also missing that all of Washington is elitist :p  85% of Congress and the Senate are Millionaires so how that represents the working class is beyond me.......... Tout facts badge , it may just give you some credibility.........
!